Sick Rummynose!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ladyagate, Apr 12, 2010.

1. ladyagateValued MemberMember

This morning I found one of my rummynose tetras nearly vertical at the bottom of the tank with his nose pointed up while another one of them was swimming quickly in little circles. Both of their noses have lost all color and they seem extremely stressed in general. I immediately placed them in a breeders net for observation and while they are very still in there (stressed from being in such a confined space I would assume) One of them is still struggling a little to keep its balance.

I do have one other rummynose who is still very red and is swimming fine, although I think he is stressed now that he is on his own. This whole thing is extremely strange because as of last night everyone was eating and their color was bright. I checked the water and ammonia and nitrite are both at 0.

My honey gourami and panda cat seem normal as well. Although my honey gourami seems a little lost since our other honey gouramis died last night. He had been struggling for months with red gills and had stopped eating.. I suspect it was a genetic problem because our ammonia has been at 0 the whole time which means that was not the cause of the inflamed gills.. No matter what we tried, he continued to deteriorate.. :( very sad..

Anyway, the last thing to note is that we have switched from a 10 gal tank to a 30 gal about 2 weeks ago. We brought everything over form the old tank (all plants, about half the gravel, old filter, etc.) We are actually running two filters right now until the new one can run on its own. We have watched the water parameters this whole time and the old filter has kept us at 0 in ammonia and nitrite. While they were stressed the first night they moved in, the rummynoses seemed to have settled in well and were enjoying all the new space.

Any ideas as to what on earth is going on? I have been observing them all morning and the spinning one has been fairly frantic to get out of the net, while the other one bobs nose up then tail up.. NEITHER of them are bloated so I find it difficult to believe it's as simple as constipation.. After class today I am going to do a huge water change and then set up the old 10 gal at qtank. Should I pull over one of those filters? I feel as though the new one isn't ready to run on its own and I don't want to lose bacteria in either of them by putting them in a tank without much ammonia..

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I'm sorry your fish are sick. :(
    I have a few questions:
    1) What are your nitrates at?
    2) What test kit do you have?
    3) How often do you test?
    4) Can you please fill out your aquarium information (under my settings at the top of the page) - it would help to know all the tankmates, etc.
    5) How did you originally cycle the tank? Did you cycle with or without fish? Using a product or not?
    6) Do you use any bacteria boosters such as Stresszyme, Cycle, or Stability?

I do not think the behavior is genetic - I think it is related to poisoning (ammonia, nitrite, chlorine, or something else). If your tank is cycled, maybe the fish were exposed to toxins at the store before you got them?

3. ladyagateValued MemberMember

1) Do not know nitrates right now, but I will get a reading as soon as I get home and pass it on!
    2) Freshwater API kit (i think master kit?) that I purchased about 8 months ago.
    3) At the least I test is weekly, and at best every day/other day
    4) I keep forgetting to do this! For the time being, I will list them here.. 1 honey gourami, 1 rummynose (besides the two sick ones) and 1 panda catfish. This is in a 30gal tank.
    5) The first tank that all these fish lived in was cycled with fish food, stresszyme, and some gravel from my old tank. (This took a LONG time!) My new 30 gallon, which all these fish currently live in, basically skipped the cycle because i shut down the first tank and moved literally everything, filter included to the new tank. I basically just moved all of the good bacteria to the new tank. The ammonia crept up to an amount that was barely detectible and was gone after large water changes. The filter from the old tank, and the one that came with the new tank are running at the same time now while the the new filter "catches up" and can take care of the ammonia and nitrites by itself.. I'm giving it another two weeks just to be safe.
    6) I used to use stresszyme in my old tank but now I use stresscoat with water changes, and sometimes in between.

Hope that answers those questions!

Just to clarify, I don't think the rummynose's behavior is genetic either, I was referring to my poor honey gourami that I recently lost. I too am guessing poisoning (or at least hoping.. since that is something I can fix with big water changes). I don't know how any fish could go from fine to horrible in less then 12 hours..

I always wash my hands before doing anything in the tank.. Could soap residue be causing this?

4. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Soap and tanks do not mix, that's for sure. The description of the vertical rummynose makes me think it may be swim bladder?

what do they eat?

5. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

aww poor things ..I hope they perk up soon!
    I think they are showing the effects of being in the other tank....when we cycle with fish(allot of us have done that :( ) it can show lasting effects on them ...you are doing everything right now and keeping a close eye on the parimeters in the new tank, is all you can really do ....I hope they make it!!!!!!

6. ladyagateValued MemberMember

I didn't cycle with fish.. I used decaying fish food, stresszyme, and gravel from a different tank. I actually also had my honey gouramis and cat before I got the rummys. In this new tank that they currently live in, I moved EVERYTHING so I never got an ammonia or nitrite spike. All the good bacteria was placed in there right away with the fish.

Just to clarify :)

7. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

there is no good bacteria when using stress zyme:( it will not properly cycle a tank...it gives you false readings and actually will eat up the good bacteria needed to cycle the tank ....in this thread, https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...782-help-sick-honey-gourami-wasting-away.html you had them with ammonia unless I read it wrong?

8. ladyagateValued MemberMember

Shawnie - I used stresszyme 8 months ago, for one week. My tank began to cycle soon after, and once that was finished, I added my fish. From that time on, I have used stresscoat when needed.

My fish have been exposed to barely detectable levels of ammonia twice. Right after medicating my old tank, and again right after putting together the new tank. In both cases, I have fixed the situation with immediate water changes. (You can check that in my past threads).

Meenu - I usually give them flakes and sometimes brine shrimp as a little treat.. They usually eat so much they look like they will explode! Although I think we can rule out constipation since there was evidence against that at the bottom of the net.. heh.. If it were in fact soap residue causing this, wouldn't you expect the other fish to be ill too?

Right now, they seem to be swimming normally again, although they look stressed, probably from being in that tiny breeders net. I am about to do another water check and then change out at least a third. From there, I guess all there is for me to do is to keep an eye on them. If things start to look bad again I'll set up the quarantine tank I suppose.

Wish me luck!

9. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I'm no expert, but I know that Columnaris both spreads quickly and spreads in tanks with good parameters, so that might be something to look into. By the time you see actual white spots on the rummies, it might be too late though.

I believe that's what happened to my rummies anyway. In my case, my affected fish had a white nose though. Could you look more carefully to see if the whiteness is just lack of red like stress or possibly cottony whiteness?

10. ladyagateValued MemberMember

Okay so this is strange.. I let them out of the net to relieve some of their stress and after about 45 minutes they have grouped together again and appear to be fine.. One of them still looks a little pale but for the most part the color is back and they are swimming fine..

What the heck? Well. I will do the water change anyway and keep an eye on them.. I am still skeptical yet.. hmm..

Also, to answer midthought's question, I checked just now and I am not seeing any white spots or fuzz.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice