Sick rosy barb

1. dubj Initiate Member

I'm a novice at keeping fish, and wonder if someone can help me identify what's wrong with my rosy barb. I've noticed since yesterday that the fish looks a bit bloated. Where it normally swims all over the tank constantly, it now just hangs out alone in a top corner of the tank. Occasionaly another fish will come by and nibble at his bottom fins and swim away. Can someone identify what is wrong? and if so, how can I save this fish?

55 gallon community tank
    had the tank 2 years
    had the rosy bard for 6 months
    15 other small fish(tetras, danios, platys) recently added 3 zebra danios and 1 red-eye tetra
    i use tap water for changes

2. Jake the Fish Member Member

Try feeding it a shelled pea. It could be a swim bladder problem.

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

4. dubj Initiate Member

sounds like i may need to vary the diet. thanks for the link.

5. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Your welcome. :)

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Dubj and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Fresh or frozen peas act as a laxative for fish. (don't use canned peas because of the salt content). There is a possibility that your fish is constipated. Thaw the pea, cut it in half and remove the skin. Then you can slice to about the size of one of the fishes eyes. It may take a time or two before it realizes that it's food. I feed all of my fish peas once a week. High in protein.

Too, do you know your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Just in case you may not be aware of the nitorgen cycle here is a link you may find helpful: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Best of luck. I hope your fish is going to be ok.
    Keep us posted.
    Ken