sick Rosy Barb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roisen

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Do you know of and understand the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
Yes
Aquarium Size
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
5 rosy barbs (including a really aggressive one O.o), 2 tiger barbs, 2 albino (only one male for all of them :] )
Aquarium Start Date
almost two months
Temperature
Aquarium Filter Type
Aqua Clear 200
hey I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to save one of my rosy barbs,

yesterday it isolated itself from the others (they had all been hanging around the little cave I made in one corner for the most part) and where his fins connected to his body looked a little irritated.

today it's gotten much worse, and although hes still eating hes now barely swimming at all, still isolated and the redness at the base of his fins is now the colour of blood (a few of his fins also appear frayed)

I thought at first the other barbs might have been attacking him, but they keep coming over and swimming around him, and they don't seem to be being aggressive towards him at all

(none of them have any sign of the irritation other than him nor do the neon tetras that are in the tank with them)

a friend who has a rather large tank mentioned it could be this product the people at SuperPet recommended to help balance the ph of the water, which I started using the last time I changed 20% of it (2 days ago, just before this started) Product is: Neutral Regulator made by Seachem

could it be that product? and if so should I remove the rosy and put him in a smaller tank until I can change out the majority of the water? none of the other fish are showing any symptoms at all, should I worry about them?

Thanks in advance, anything you can think of would be great, I would really like not to lose this rosy

-Roisen

OP
R

Roisen

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Yes
Aquarium Size
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
5 rosy barbs (including a really aggressive one O.o), 2 tiger barbs, 2 albino (only one male for all of them :] )
Aquarium Start Date
almost two months
Temperature
Aquarium Filter Type
Aqua Clear 200
i've been searching to see if I can't find what this is on the net, and so far no disease I have read up on has sounded like what this fish has, the closest thing i've found is ich, but there are no white spots and he went from looking like the ideal rosy (he even had the black ridge on his dorsal fin) to being unable to swim with red blotches at the base of each fin (I think its blood, but it doesn't seem to run off at all in the water so myb its internal ...)

I began decholorinating water in a little one gallon tank I had so I can move him in if need be in a few hours if I need to

OP
R

Roisen

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Yes
Aquarium Size
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Aquarium Start Date
almost two months
Temperature
Aquarium Filter Type
Aqua Clear 200
... anyway, I figured out what it was, and I feel like a newb, the lady at the store (bad bad me for listening) said she gave three females and a male, but not the case

two males two females, the slightly bigger male tore my lil guy to shreds, but I managed to get him isolated in time (in a five g not 1 ~.~) and got two other females to go with him, waited two weeks, re-introduced them to the tank and its been fine since

juuust in case anyone was wondering ...

Lucy

Star Boarder
Reactions
HI Roisen Welcome to Fish Lore

I'm glad you got things straightened about and your little one is doing better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom