Sick rope, any suggestions please.

1. feenixfire Initiate Member

Hi all,
    Long story but I have a 120 gallon new tank, setup and run for over 3 weeks, cycled fine, dual eheim canister filters, redundant heaters set now to 79. I originally stocked with 3 ropefish, 3 roselines, 3 tinfoils and about 14 tiger barbs. That was a couple months ago. I originally lost all but 3 of the tiger barbs. afterwards I lost 2 of the ropes. Now my last rope is sick, showing the same signs as the previous ones, and I can't figure out what's going on. I've been testing water almost daily now, both with sticks and the full chem set. Nitrate & trites at 0. Ammonia 0. PH is the only thing that's a little high at 7.5 but everyone I've asked at the lfs says that shouldn't be the issue. Been doing water changes weekly, about 20%. I've recalibrated my heaters and right now I'm trying a broad spectrum antibiotic (last resort recommendation from lfs, I hate using chems). I'm trying to post a pic but basically he's listless at the bottom of the tank, tail on the ground and floating straight up with head bent over so it looks like he's a candy cane. The lfs was thinking swim bladder disease so that's why the broad spectrum antibiotic. I've got quite a few tanks in my house and never had anything like this happen. I just don't understand what's going on. Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Sorry you are losing your fish. I have never had a rope fish and know little to nothing about them! :(
    I wish I could help you with it!
    The only thing I read just now was that you need to have a covered tank and leave enough room at the top (at least an inch) so that it can get fresh air.

3. fishingdeep Member Member

Please remember that at any time you add fish your bb has to be able to adjust. Have you added too many fish at one time? The "cycle" is not a one time thing but every time we add fish

4. feenixfire Initiate Member

Yep I added them in groups as to not overload the filters. Well I just found the rope dead. I really love these fish and want them in my tank. The only other thing I can think of is a couple of the barbs from the lfs looked like they had bloody noses. I was told that's how they are but I've had no experience with them so I figured the lfs was correct. Can 7.5 ph be too high? Any other guesses? I used the coralife gravel that was "ready to go" but obviously I put it through a real cycle as well. I'm guessing a disease but how can I clear the whole tank?

5. fishingdeep Member Member

Can you share the results of your water test? Both from the tap and the tank? My only trouble with ropes was how to keep them in the tank. Did you add all the fish at once or am I missing something? A 120 will handle a lot of mistakes so we want to help you.

6. old hippy Member Member

You might look carefully at all ornaments, rocks, etc. It is easy to include an unsafe item in a new tank setup and the delayed effects don't make you automatically suspect that "backyard rock" etc. You do sound like you know what you're doing, but anyone can miss something. I know- it has happened to me.