Sick, Red, Ryukin Goldfish.

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by HelvisGoldies, Jun 14, 2018.

?

What's wrong with my goldfish?

1. Possible ammonia burns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Something bacterial

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HelvisGoldies

HelvisGoldies Valued Member Member

I'm having a huge problem with my goldfish. I have a few fancy goldfish in a 120 gallon tank. The tank isn't fully cycled but I used old filter media, and have been doing daily 50% water changes. One of my most expensive Ryukin was bright pink, with a pink veiny tail and I'm at a complete loss as to what it could be. The fish is acting lethargic.

Both the nitrite and ammonia are at 0 ppm

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
  2. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Lethargic isn't much of a symptom to diagnose with since many conditions cause a fish to be lethargic. You said you are doing massive water changes every day, but what are your water perameters including temperature? Does the fish eat. Have you noticed any strange spots on the fish or redness around the gill area, or does it have white stringy poop?

You are using a water conditioner whe you do water changes I assume. And what brand are you using.

3. OP
    OP
    HelvisGoldies

I'm using seachem prime, yes the fish eats very well. I've seen white poos, and the fish scratch themselves on the sides of the tank. The parameters are 0 ppm for both ammonia and nitrite. The temperature I keep my fancy goldfish at is 72 degrees Fahrenheit. This fish is pink in the gills but mostly the body. It's very veiny and has torn fins. The other fish are showing these symptoms.

IMG_20180614_132343818.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Beautiful fish you have there. Just looks like normal coloration in the pictures you've shown. I also see no torn fins. However, the white feces and scratching is a completely different problem from what you previously described. Sounds more like parasites to me.

5. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

White poop is diagnosed as intestinal worms. Treat them with PraziPro. Get the smallest 1 oz bottle because you only use 1 tsp for every 20 gallons of water just one time. The treatment will last 5 days and then you can resume water changes. Keep testing your ammonia. If it climbs during treatment, just add a dose of prime. You can resume water changes after 5 days.

6. OP
    OP
    HelvisGoldies

How would you safely treat the parasites?

Thank you so much! I'll give that a try.

7. Adriifu

Adriifu Well Known Member Member

Orally fed Metro+ always seems to work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice