Sick plecos?

1. TheCoolFish Member Member

I just notice that one of my plecos can not attach its self to something by mouth. It seems to be weak? I need help can any one tell me? My levels are fine: nitrite 0 nitrate 7.0 ammonia 0.15 or less pH 8.3 ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406488521.530908.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

Your ammonia is fairly high at .15ppm I'd start with replacing some of the water to get that level to 0ppm it can be very harmful to their well-being...sadly he does not look to be in good health..

3. DaniosRock Member Member

I second the water change, what are you feeding him?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Is this the same tank where the cory got sucked up the filter intake?
    If so it sounds like the ammonia could have had an effect & weakened it, I'd do as suggested & do a water change to get the ammonia down

5. TheCoolFish Member Member

No the ammonia is down I have been feeding it ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406495880.038892.jpg this

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

Is there any driftwood in the tank? That's a very crucial part of their diet. They also require more of a veggie wafer, and what you have there doesn't have a very high vegetable or algae content. Also supplementing them with a variety of veggies is also very important.

When you can, could you finish answering the rest of the questions in your profile...?

Was curious what size tank & how long its been cycled...

From the picture it looks as though you have a common pleco? Correct me if I'm wrong. They require very large tanks, as they get over a foot long.

Which would bring me to my next question.... How long have you had the pleco? Also is he your only one?

7. TheCoolFish Member Member

I have drift wood I am going to sell one once it gets bigger I have two plecos its a 55 or 50 gallon tank 48x12x18 they both about 4 inches

8. TheCoolFish Member Member

I have had them for a week and I've cycle my tank for about 5 weeks or so

9. TheCoolFish Member Member

Ok I'll put a veggie in there

10. Crissandra331 Member Member

Ohhh they look much larger in the picture! Have you notice any aggression between the two since you put them in there? Or do they have plenty of hiding places? Did you notice any change in your load after adding them? I'd keep an eye and test regular to make sure your ammonia stays in check or maybe add some beneficial bacteria to accommodate the fish you introduced...Cause they have a pretty heavy bio-load

11. TheCoolFish Member Member

Not aggressive there are a lot of hiding spaces I think I'm just going to see what happens for now he can still swim but he is floating up ward
    It could be swim bladder...

12. TheCoolFish Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406508589.344167.jpg he is not dead

13. DaniosRock Member Member

Poor guy! Im so sorry about his condition.

I feed mine algae wafers, cucumber, zucchini and squash. He loves it as do the snails.

14. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Do you feed some protein as well? (most) plecos are more or less omnivores and need some protein as well in certain stages of their live.
    Mine go crazy for bloodworms / corypellets aso !!

15. TheCoolFish Member Member

Sadly he dyed last night and my other pleco about an hour while I was dealing with algae :(

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

16. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Awww sorry !!!

17. TheCoolFish Member Member

Ya it's my fault I put to much algaefix

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

18. DaniosRock Member Member

I'm so sorry they died. Don't be to hard on yourself, we've all made mistakes with our tanks.