Sick Pleco.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by gmamy, Feb 22, 2019.

1. gmamyNew MemberMember

Please help asap!! Could this be velvet? I really dont want to loose him. Its a 20 gallon tank. Ammonia is at 0 and nitrites are at zero, nitrates were high at 40 but I did a water change and now are much lower at 10. I covered the tank and added some salt. I also raised the temperature to around 82 degrees. Tank mates are 2 mollies, 3 white clouds, 1 pea puffer, and some snails. what else can I do? And is it velvet or something else? Ive never seen anything like this before.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  2. gmamyNew MemberMember

Thank you! I will try it. And do you have any idea whats wrong with him? Ive never seen anything like it before.

3. KittenlunaValued MemberMember

It kind of looks like fish fungus. You should Google image some pictures and see if it compares, since you can see him better than i can.
    You can buy treatment at the pet store. Do you have a quarantine tank? It'd be a lot cheaper to treat him in a small tank. Rather than a big one

Are they raised bumps?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2019
  4. gmamyNew MemberMember

I thought it was a fungus too but theres no really cottony growth. Just lifted kinda scales with white rusty colored stuff on them all over his body. and do you think because my others have been exposed that i should treat the whole tank even as a preventive?

Not bumps the scales just look a little raised.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2019
  5. KittenlunaValued MemberMember

Maybe you should try researching dropsy. Dropsy in Fish. Dropsy is a common but often fatal fish disease that causesdistinctive raised scales pointing away from the body in an affected fish. ... The actual cause of the swelling and of the disease consists of a variety of factors, including kidney disease, infection, and nutritional and environmental factors

I've read that plecos with raised scales could also be tuberculosis.

6. gmamyNew MemberMember

He isn't really bloated though, and could dropsy cause the coloring on his scales?

I'll look into it. I didnt know fish could get TB. Im still sort of new to the hobby and Im learning everyday. I really dont want to loose him, he is one of my favorite fish.

7. KittenlunaValued MemberMember

My bn pleco is my favourite too!!! :(
    I just read up and i think if it is tb all your fish would die. This is what one person said "I'm planning on leaving my plecos and cories be, as they aren't known to contract TB. "

8. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

Some signs of fish tb are deformed spines and open sores and it can also be contracted by humans from the fish infected with it.

9. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Can you tell me what you're specifically worried about? Is it just its coloration? If so, that's just normal stress coloring.

10. fish 321Well Known MemberMember

I think she is talking about the raised scales on its back.

11. gmamyNew MemberMember

The raised scales, the abnormal color, he is lethargic and seems to have some weird stuff on his back.

12. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Yes. Fish do get tb unfortunately. It’s one of the diseases that aquarists contract as well. So you could get it yourself because it’s contagious. Be careful. I always use aquarium gloves when working on my tanks to prevent cross contamination and contracting a disease (specifically salmonella bacteria and tb) or any other zoonotic diseases regardless if my fish look generally healthy. Better safe than sorry.

13. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I zoomed in on one of your photos... are the scales supposed to look like that? Or are they supposed to look smooth? I’ve never owned a pleco but I do know what dropsy looks like and if their scales aren’t supposed to look like that then it may likely be dropsy. Because this photo looks like raised scales to me.

34037404-8921-43CB-AAE3-4982B70BECD4.jpeg
    B2EFD94E-CC6F-49E8-A230-D0789F91D00B.jpeg

14. gmamyNew MemberMember

Hello,
    I just finished treating the tank with machalite green and Acriflavin. he doesnt look much better, his scales are normally pretty armored, I have a few new pictures to look at too if need be. I can try to find something on dropsy, would that cause the discoloration on his scales too?

15. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I’m not sure about the discoloration. Try to find photos from before you started noticing issues and see if the scales are the same as they are now.