Sick pleco, please help ID disease

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by ionix, Dec 5, 2012.

1. i

ionix New Member Member

Hi, first time post.

My perimeters were bad yesterday as I had a filter (power reset and filter died). Though my pleco has had these strange growths that I noticed a few days ago that I cannot identify (I've been researching), and I am unsure of the patching (if it is new or due to recent decay in water conditions (water conditions are normally great)). I only had a couple aerators to keep it oxygenated and moving but it still had a nasty film.

Today (5am, 10pm now), after I water changed (25%), threw on my new fluval 305 (plus old filters biomax and new, and carbon (plus another set of ammo chips), plus ammo-lock liquid. Everything is pristine and my levels are low, nitrates and nitrites are a little higher but satisfactory on two tests (API strips and master kit). pH is ~8.5.

So I am really unsure, please take a look at the photos and hopefully we can treat him!

P.S. He is a good eater, he goes nuts when I feed him his daily algae supplemental but I never catch him actually doing his own work (lethargy perhaps?).

Thank you for reading as well! 20121205_060603.jpg 20121205_204638.jpg

2. lucky strike 21

lucky strike 21 Well Known Member Member

could you please fill out your aquarium info so everyone could help thank you and welcome to fishlore glad to have you here:;hi2

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

Looks like it could be lymphocistis. If it is, there's not really anything you can do about it.

4. lucky strike 21

maybe a tumor ? can you get better pictures ?

5. OP
    OP
    i

ionix New Member Member

Scary though non treatable, if I continue to keep my fluval running and have a safety filter, will I be good? How can I help?

Also, my tank is about 40g, that is sufficient for that pleco right? It isn't his internal organs? I was planning to move him to my 60g but I don't want him with the full grown african cichlids till he is (would have been) tank.

P.S. Since it is a virus, and he is showing, it is most likely that the rest of the fish have been infected? should I just keep everything as is?

6. lucky strike 21

i think just keep doing water changes and just try to give him the best care you can and wait it out im sorry i really hope he gets better

7. OP
    OP
    i

ionix New Member Member

I will try my best, doing so now.

8. Jaysee

I don't know much about it, aside from identifying it.

What kind of pleco is it?

9. lucky strike 21

it looks like a rubberlip pleco

10. OP
    OP
    i

ionix New Member Member

pleckofixed.jpg
    I am not sure, as it was an adoption. Though he is pretty big. Like 4-5"

hopefully this new pic helps

Also the discolouration is terrible

11. Jaysee

rubberlips get that big, though in all fairness that's pretty small for a pleco :)

Yup, looks like lymphocystis.

12. lucky strike 21

the max size for a rubberlip pleco is 5 inches i think i was reading that if it gets really bad you can do surgery on the fish to remove it i wonder if its safe to do though

13. lucky strike 21

even if he is sick thank you for adopting him your giving him a good home:;perfect

14. OP
    OP
    i

ionix New Member Member

He was so healthy two weeks ago.

I will change their water every two days by 25% and hopefully they will be okay.

I am going to attempt a bacterial anti biotic and perhaps that will give him an edge against secondary infections. Some causes of cystis is bacterial. One can hope right?

15. OP
    OP
    i

ionix New Member Member

haha i tend to think he is pleased. Though thank you as well for your help so far, and jes of course!

16. lucky strike 21

personally i wouldnt give up im glad your trying to make him better nothing is impossible yes one can always hope and who knows he might get better just take it day by day

17. OP
    OP
    i

ionix New Member Member

Thank you, will post every few days to update you guys and maybe we can treat this!

If it is left, it may develop further (if we were to continue with a surgical intervention) but like you say, we'll play this day to day. If it truly gets that bad over a short course, then I doubt we could've helped it any way..

18. Jaysee

I think petsmart says they get to be 10 inches. Planetcatfish says like 5, and I find that to be a much more reliable source. I didn't mean it was a small rubberlip, but rather a small species.

Good luck with it.

19. lucky strike 21

i will be following this thread i hope he gets better if worst comes to worst just remember you tried your best and you gave him a very nice home but like i said he can pull through hes a fighter lol:;rocker

20. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Lymphocystis is viral, and can be spread to other fish, so he may have to live alone.
    Here's some info on the disease.  

I notice it can be confused with epitheliocystis, so you may want to look that up as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice