Sick pleco, please help ID disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

ionix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, first time post.

My perimeters were bad yesterday as I had a filter (power reset and filter died). Though my pleco has had these strange growths that I noticed a few days ago that I cannot identify (I've been researching), and I am unsure of the patching (if it is new or due to recent decay in water conditions (water conditions are normally great)). I only had a couple aerators to keep it oxygenated and moving but it still had a nasty film.

Today (5am, 10pm now), after I water changed (25%), threw on my new fluval 305 (plus old filters biomax and new, and carbon (plus another set of ammo chips), plus ammo-lock liquid. Everything is pristine and my levels are low, nitrates and nitrites are a little higher but satisfactory on two tests (API strips and master kit). pH is ~8.5.

So I am really unsure, please take a look at the photos and hopefully we can treat him!

P.S. He is a good eater, he goes nuts when I feed him his daily algae supplemental but I never catch him actually doing his own work (lethargy perhaps?).

Thank you for reading as well!20121205_060603.jpg20121205_204638.jpg

lucky strike 21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
could you please fill out your aquarium info so everyone could help thank you and welcome to fishlore glad to have you here

OP
I

ionix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to the forum

Looks like it could be lymphocistis. If it is, there's not really anything you can do about it.
Scary though non treatable, if I continue to keep my fluval running and have a safety filter, will I be good? How can I help?

Also, my tank is about 40g, that is sufficient for that pleco right? It isn't his internal organs? I was planning to move him to my 60g but I don't want him with the full grown african cichlids till he is (would have been) tank.

P.S. Since it is a virus, and he is showing, it is most likely that the rest of the fish have been infected? should I just keep everything as is?

lucky strike 21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Scary though non treatable, if I continue to keep my fluval running and have a safety filter, will I be good? How can I help?

Also, my tank is about 40g, that is sufficient for that pleco right? It isn't his internal organs? I am planning to move him to my 60g but I don't want him with the full grown african cichlids till he is (would have been) tank.
i think just keep doing water changes and just try to give him the best care you can and wait it out im sorry i really hope he gets better

lucky strike 21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
rubberlips get that big, though in all fairness that's pretty small for a pleco

Yup, looks like lymphocystis.
the max size for a rubberlip pleco is 5 inches i think i was reading that if it gets really bad you can do surgery on the fish to remove it i wonder if its safe to do though

OP
I

ionix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
He was so healthy two weeks ago.

I will change their water every two days by 25% and hopefully they will be okay.

I am going to attempt a bacterial anti biotic and perhaps that will give him an edge against secondary infections. Some causes of cystis is bacterial. One can hope right?

lucky strike 21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
He was so healthy two weeks ago.

I will change their water every two days by 25% and hopefully they will be okay.

I am going to attempt a bacterial anti biotic and perhaps that will give him an edge against secondary infections. Some causes of cystis is bacterial. One can hope right?
personally i wouldnt give up im glad your trying to make him better nothing is impossible yes one can always hope and who knows he might get better just take it day by day

OP
I

ionix

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you, will post every few days to update you guys and maybe we can treat this!

If it is left, it may develop further (if we were to continue with a surgical intervention) but like you say, we'll play this day to day. If it truly gets that bad over a short course, then I doubt we could've helped it any way..

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think petsmart says they get to be 10 inches. Planetcatfish says like 5, and I find that to be a much more reliable source. I didn't mean it was a small rubberlip, but rather a small species.

Good luck with it.

lucky strike 21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you, will post every few days to update you guys and maybe we can treat this!

If it is left, it may develop further (if we were to continue with a surgical intervention) but like you say, we'll play this day to day. If it truly gets that bad over a short course, then I doubt we could've helped it any way..
i will be following this thread i hope he gets better if worst comes to worst just remember you tried your best and you gave him a very nice home but like i said he can pull through hes a fighter lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom