Sick Pleco Face Is Gone

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kristin919, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Kristin919New MemberMember

Hi I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with 2 Australian rainbows, a golden wonder kilo fish and a clown pleco. It has been running for a few years now. I had upwards to 10+ fish a few weeks ago and they’re all dying off.i just noticed My clown pleco’s skin like fell off, you can see his flesh underneath and bone and I’m sure he’s not going to make t but I figured maybe someone could give me an answer as to what this is or what the cause is that may have killed all my other fish? The other fish in the tank also have like a white fungus it seems coming out of there mouths on their lips. Thank you i 0689A371-B7D7-4797-8972-16AB39655FA6.jpegB76F2795-0DAB-4DD7-B5AF-9510BBD2578A.jpegA0C8DFF7-C63A-4D0D-91E8-84272F33B80B.jpeg

2. grump299Well Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore. Oh my he looks like he could be in a lot of pain sorry I can’t help with it but if he is that bad then it will be best to euthanize him so he don’t suffer any more.
    For the rest of the fish some of info would be a help like is the tank cycled how long and ammonia/nitrates/nitrites/ph.

3. Kristin919New MemberMember

I know he looks horrible it’s awful. The tank is cycled and is reading alright no ammonia, no nitrite And some nitrate, the ph of my water however is rather high, like 8.5. I have driftwood in the tank and it had live plants before other than that that’s about it. I’m thinkin it’s a disease, parasite or a fungus of some sort. If This tank crashes I plan on taking it down and starting over again to get rid of any diseases but I’d still like to know at least what this could be

4. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Ouch!! We'll need to know your water parameters

Could you post a picture of the other fishes mouth fungus? It could be columnaris which is a bacterial infection that has to be treated or your fish will all begin to die off.

5. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

how often do you do water changes?

and how much water do you remove each time?

6. FeohwWell Known MemberMember

Could he have burned himself on the heater? Does it have a guard? If they get caught between the heater and the glass they can get burnt, the burn will initially be white and then the skin will Slough away.

7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

to me it must be a bacterial issue.
    Please put it out of its missery.

8. Kristin919New MemberMember

He does like to sit in between the heater and the glass, like he wedges himself in there sometimes, it doesn’t have a guard on it I didn’t even know that was a thing but that’s good to know. I do water changes about once a month or more often if there is a lot of waste at the bottom. I however just changed the sub rate in the tank from pool filters and to the black aquarium sand and I added a new piece of driftwood. When I did this is did a 75% water change and after this my fish started to die off. I lost a Boris Angelicus, 2 platies and a turquoise rainbowfish all dying within about a week but they all had strange things on their bodies almost like films or ulcers of some sort so I doubt it was shock

How can I euthanize him?

When I do water changes I change about 10-25% of the water

9. EveeValued MemberMember

Hi, did you ever find out what was wrong with your pleco? Is he still alive? Or did you euthanized him? It seems like mine has the same thing.