Sick platy! Help 

Linni93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my platy females has been ill for some time. She has always been a bit shy and an 'outsider', and she gave birth to healthy fry a little while ago. But since then she has gotten quite thin and is looking worse. Now she just hides above and behind the filter most of the time, and she really doesn't do much. When she does come out of hiding she seems to be interested in food, but when she tries to eat she just spits it out again, which I don't understand because she looks hungry and weak. Unfortunately most of the food gets eaten quite fast by my other fish, who are looking quite healthy, and I'm afraid to overfeed just to make sure there is something left for her. She also hangs around right by the surface of the water, as if she needs oxygen or something.
The water parameters are normal, and as I said the other fish are doing fine. I'm worried for her, and I don't know what to do for the poor little thing...

master of fishes

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
hi.
this happened to my platy sometimke ago and died.you need to check the temp if its proper.if ur fish is gasping in the surface take it out of the tank and put it in clean water right away or she will die in 3 weeks.or you can do a 50% water change.

master of fishes

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
oh and also take out the driftwood.platies hate driftwood.

Linni93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The temp is 24C/75F.
I never heard before that platies hate driftwood, my platies don't seem to be bothered about it.

master of fishes

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
they may not seem bothered but platies love alkaline ph but driftwood make the water acidic and could even kill the platies but it is rare that acid water can kill platies so remove the driftwood right away before any harm comes to your platies.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
master of fishes said:
they may not seem bothered but platies love alkaline ph but driftwood make the water acidic and could even kill the platies but it is rare that acid water can kill platies so remove the driftwood right away before any harm comes to your platies.
I respectfully disagree with this statement. Driftwood is NOT harmful to platies. I have platies and plecos with driftwood in the same tank. They're fine with it. Platies will adjust to the different PH and once the tannins in driftwood have leached into the tank, it no longer decreases the PH of the tank.

fisher98

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This Happend To Me Before!

Mine got a bit slow.....So I did a water test, It was fine btw. But I wasn't sure about my platy. So I got "Mardel Maracyn." It's a five day treatment that helps with most diseases. Oh, and how old is your platy? He may just be of old age.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry she's sick! Do you have a breeder box or net, a quarantine tank or some way to divide your tank so she can have space to herself? That way she can get food without you worrying that the others will be overfed.

Do you crush up the flakes between your fingers before putting them into the tank? Sometimes the fish spit out food that's too big for their mouths, or they chew it and spit it back out over and over to soften it up. Maybe try feeding all the other fish on the opposite side of the tank from her then while they're distracted, feed her.

What are you water parameters? I know you said they're fine but what are the numbers?

You don't need to remove the driftwood. Even if it is leeching tannins, at this point your platy has acclimated to whatever the pH is. Thankfully many fish can live in a wide range of water conditions if they're given time to get used them.

-Lisa

Linni93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think my platy is old, because I haven't had her for too long. Unfortunately I don't have anything to separate her from the others.
my numbers are:
ammonia: 0,0 mg/l
nitrite: 0,0 mg/l
nitrate: <10 mg/l

I could try feeding her away from the others and crushing the flakes..

Linni93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I'm gonna go buy stuff for a quarantine setup on wednesday, so hopefully I will be able to quarantine her and improve her health.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads