Sick Platy

oliviaz21

HI - hopefully one of you can help me. I have four platys, three females and one male, in a 10 gallon tank. the temperature and all the levels are good and I recently changed the filters. yet one of my females has been acting weird; she abruptly stopped eating like four days ago and is swimming irregularly, in kind of a jerking motion. she also spends a lot of time at the top of the tank. i’ve examined her very closely and haven’t seen any physical signs of illness or disease, and the rest of the fish in the tank are doing great and swimming and eating normally. i’m not sure if her gills are inflamed/irritated because she’s white with a red tail so the area around her gills has always been red. I read something that said she might be pregnant but i’ve had the same male fish for like a year and he’s very small and none of my fish have gotten pregnant. being pregnant also doesn’t explain why she’s swimming weird. and she doesn’t look pregnant but i’ve never seen a pregnant platy. anyone know why she’s like this and what to do to save her? any advice is greatly appreciated

oliviazz21

HI everyone - recently my female platy has been acting strange. She swims irregularly, in kind of a jerking motion. She also abruptly stopped eating five days ago and spends the majority of her time at the top of the tank. It doesn't seem like she's breathing excessively, and I don't think her gills are irritated/inflamed but it's hard to tell seen as the area around them has always been red because her upper body is white. I changed the filters not too long ago and all of the water parameters are good. She has no visible signs of disease or illness or infection or anything like that and seen as she stopped eating idk what her waste looks like. My other two female platys and my one male platy are all doing great and aren't having any of these issues, in a ten gallon tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

BlackSkirtTetra

First of all do you have any pictures? It is hard to diagnose something from the internet by only reading about it.

Also can you list out your exact water conditions? It would be very helpful.

And could you please say what you feed them?

AnxieAquatics

Oh, I know exactly what you're talking about. I've had a couple of my girls go "wiggly" on me before. What I've found is that it only happens when the platy is getting older. What I do is just make sure that you keep up with water changes and watch her very closely for any changes such as floating at the top, bloating, and possibly death. However, I've never had a platy completely refuse food. Just make sure that she has the chance to feed every day. Maybe even move her to a tank with less competitive fish so she can have more time to eat. (I know platys can be real pigs and swarm the food, no matter how often you feed them. A stomach with fins, lol.)

Hope this helps♥♥♥

Lucyn

HI everyone - recently my female platy has been acting strange. She swims irregularly, in kind of a jerking motion. She also abruptly stopped eating five days ago and spends the majority of her time at the top of the tank. It doesn't seem like she's breathing excessively, and I don't think her gills are irritated/inflamed but it's hard to tell seen as the area around them has always been red because her upper body is white. I changed the filters not too long ago and all of the water parameters are good. She has no visible signs of disease or illness or infection or anything like that and seen as she stopped eating idk what her waste looks like. My other two female platys and my one male platy are all doing great and aren't having any of these issues, in a ten gallon tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Did you transport the filtration media from the old filter to the new one? If not, your tank will restart it's cycle, leading to an overwhelming amount of toxins.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bored411
  • WagglePets
  • Platy
Replies
Views
WagglePets

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom