Sick Platy

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
I have a Mickey mouse platy. After doing research (someone actually posted a question a few days ago about their platy and it is what mine is doing) I believe she has the shimmies. It has been about a week .I don't believe she is eating, she has started swimming to the top and darting around and then settling on the bottom again. This started yesterday. Does that mean she is getting better or am I just letting her suffer and should I put her down? I do have clove oil as I wanted to be prepared for any situation and I don't like animals to suffer.
 

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Messages
613
Reaction score
274
Points
98
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
I have a Mickey mouse platy. After doing research (someone actually posted a question a few days ago about their platy and it is what mine is doing) I believe she has the shimmies. It has been about a week .I don't believe she is eating, she has started swimming to the top and darting around and then settling on the bottom again. This started yesterday. Does that mean she is getting better or am I just letting her suffer and should I put her down? I do have clove oil as I wanted to be prepared for any situation and I don't like animals to suffer.
Shimmying is a symptom, not a disease. It usually indicates a massive amount of stress that has caused the affected fish to lose control of its nervous system. The most common case of shimmying in mollies and platys is when they are kept in acidic/soft water. Though tolerant to many conditions they cannot handle soft acidic water well and will start to shimmy. There is no treatment for shimmying except to correct the environmental variables. I would test your pH and other parameters and then make sure you're at the correct temperature for platys. I would do a PWC after testing and double check parameters. Her behavior points towards stress IMO. Platy fish are generally very active and always hungry as a hippo. The ideal conditions for most livebearers are as follows: 75-80° Fahrenheit, 10-25° dH, and a pH of 7.5-8.0. If you could, check your ammonia, nitrite, pH and nitrate and update so we can figure out what's going on. Don't worry so much about dH unless you actually have a means of testing it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
76. Yes the ammonia was a little higher closer to one a few weeks ago but I have since been bringing it down and trying to cycle. It's been about a week she has been acting this way. The first few days I only knew she was alive because she was breathing. But she is holding her final very close to her (I even thought her top fin fell off) and just lays on the botton of the tank. Yesterday she darted to the top and around a few times and theb ends up back at the bottom .
 

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Messages
613
Reaction score
274
Points
98
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
76. Yes the ammonia was a little higher closer to one a few weeks ago but I have since been bringing it down and trying to cycle. It's been about a week she has been acting this way. The first few days I only knew she was alive because she was breathing. But she is holding her final very close to her (I even thought her top fin fell off) and just lays on the botton of the tank. Yesterday she darted to the top and around a few times and theb ends up back at the bottom .
If it were me, I'd bump up the temperature closer to 78-ish. It'll help relax the fish and will help the bacteria thrive which will increase the cycling rate slightly. Something is stressing her out, if she is just chilling at the bottom and only moving spastically every once and a while then she isn't feeling great. If you're dosing with prime, the ammonia should be detoxified which means it's unlikely to cause stress. I'm not sure what's bugging her, personally I'm typically against euthanasia because I've had more than one fish bounce back from near death. I'd keep an eye on her and see if she'll eat some food. If you have a turkey baster or something similar, you can squirt some food down close to her and see if she might take some.
 

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
Mine have shimmies too...
They are still eating though and swimming. They just shake a lot. Not sure how to fix it either
 

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Messages
613
Reaction score
274
Points
98
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
Mine have shimmies too...
They are still eating though and swimming. They just shake a lot. Not sure how to fix it either
Hopefully this thread will help you! Definitely be sure that your parameters are in check, poor water quality is almost always the cause of shimmies. Certain bacterial and protozoan diseases, such as finrot, mouth fungus, and slime disease, seem to be associated with the shimmies as well but you will almost always see other symptoms paired with shimmies.
 

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
live4wetsleeves said:
Hopefully this thread will help you! Definitely be sure that your parameters are in check, poor water quality is almost always the cause of shimmies. Certain bacterial and protozoan diseases, such as finrot, mouth fungus, and slime disease, seem to be associated with the shimmies as well but you will almost always see other symptoms paired with shimmies.
Me and her both upgraded tanks at the same time and both of our parameters are the same. Now our fish are going through the same thing. Weird. I think the move just really stressed them out. Our snails died out of no where too besides 1. Not sure what happened. They don’t have any other symptoms that I can tell. Just shaking once in awhile.
 

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Messages
613
Reaction score
274
Points
98
Experience
More than 10 years
Nicole B said:
Me and her both upgraded tanks at the same time and both of our parameters are the same. Now our fish are going through the same thing. Weird. I think the move just really stressed them out. Our snails died out of no where too besides 1. Not sure what happened. They don’t have any other symptoms that I can tell. Just shaking once in awhile.
Did your source of water change at all? You didn't move homes, just tanks, correct?
It could be that moving stressed them out but that doesn't necessarily explain the snail deaths.
I assume you both acclimated the fish to their new homes by floating/drip acclimating? If they were moved from an existing tank to one that had just been set up, that could be your culprit. Sudden changes in parameters up or down can affect fish the same way. So if they came from an existing aquarium that had been set up for some time and had toxins present, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, even in low levels, then dropping them into a tank that had nothing but fresh water would be just as harmful as a sudden spike in parameters. That's why a slow drip acclimation is necessary when transferring or introducing fish to a new home. Platys are not known for their sensitivity but they're no zebra danios.

You wouldn't happen to have a copper test kit would you? Copper is also known to cause shimmies as its toxic in high amounts and fatal to invertebrates. Copper sulfate is sometimes used to take care of pest snail infestations even though its ill-advised. It's unlikely but it's possible.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
My fish was actually doing this before we switched tanks. I wasn't sure if the switch would help or harm but it had to be done. She is pretty much the same as she was in the last tank.
 

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Messages
613
Reaction score
274
Points
98
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
My fish was actually doing this before we switched tanks. I wasn't sure if the switch would help or harm but it had to be done. She is pretty much the same as she was in the last tank.
Bizarre, I guess just keep an eye on her and keep trying to feed her. On the bright side, platys are pretty easy to replace if something happens. Heck, I've got a sunset wag platy I'd give you right now. Hopefully after some water changes they'll start to act a little better.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
Lol yea I never knew fish keeping was this frustrating! I have 4 fish left and am trying to cycle and pretty much just wsitiwa to see if these fish live... If not I'll cycle and get new fish but I feel bad
 

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Messages
613
Reaction score
274
Points
98
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
Lol yea I never knew fish keeping was this frustrating! I have 4 fish left and am trying to cycle and pretty much just wsitiwa to see if these fish live... If not I'll cycle and get new fish but I feel bad
Well, that's the major downside to a fish-in cycle. It's much harder to manage a cycling tank when you've got fish in it stressing you out. I've been in the hobby for about 13 years now, which is over half my life (I'm even majoring in aquatic biology) and it is definitely frustrating at times. However, once you persevere and get better at it, you start to know kind of what to expect. After that you can avoid issues and it becomes the most rewarding thing in the world. I hope your little fish starts doing better, I know first hand how frustrating it is not knowing what's ailing your little buddies.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
I woke up this am to a dead Molly, another platy on its side barely breathing and same with the original platy. I have one fish now acting fine. Yesterday I did a water change cause the ammonia was at 1 and dosed with prime. I had also dosed with prime sat and sun so the Ammonia should not have been harming them. I also changed the charcoal because it had been over a month. Any idwas? At this PT I'll be doing a fish less cycle.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
I also just started using prime sat. Could that or the charcoal have done something to think water?
 

live4wetsleeves

Well Known Member
Messages
613
Reaction score
274
Points
98
Experience
More than 10 years
Photobelle said:
I woke up this am to a dead Molly, another platy on its side barely breathing and same with the original platy. I have one fish now acting fine. Yesterday I did a water change cause the ammonia was at 1 and dosed with prime. I had also dosed with prime sat and sun so the Ammonia should not have been harming them. I also changed the charcoal because it had been over a month. Any idwas? At this PT I'll be doing a fish less cycle.
What a bummer! I can't think of what's killing them... The ammonia is a little high but if you're dosing prime, it should be detoxified.

Photobelle said:
I also just started using prime sat. Could that or the charcoal have done something to think water?
Personally, I don't use carbon because it pulls nutrients and medications out of the water and I have a heavily planted tank. My water is just as clear without it, a little yellowed sometimes because of the plants but otherwise clear. According to Seachem, Prime is unaffected by carbon so it shouldn't impact the effectiveness at all.

Prime is a reducing agent and breaks compounds down into smaller, safer components. Prime is only effective for 24-48 hours so daily to every other day doses are necessary. If not dosed, 1ppm ammonia is enough to cause hiccups in the aquarium but I see that you've dosed every day since it shot up. Dang, something is causing these fish to die, I just cannot think of what it could be. I'd say keep doing partial water changes to keep whatever it is at a manageable level. Keep dosing prime and keep an eye on everyone. Your tank will cycle even if the ammonia is at 0.25ppm. It may take a little longer but it'll get there and your fish will be a little happier with the water. Partial water changes, unless the mystery is in your tap, should remove what's bothering the fish.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom