Sick Platy

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Courtney Moreau, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Courtney Moreau

Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

I have 2 platys in a 10 gallon tank, both females. I just got back from a week long vacation and had a friend wa t king them and they seemed fine but now my green lantern platy (pluto) seems lethargic and looked like her gills were red ish. I am worried any ideas?

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Red gills could be either high ammonia levels, or sometimes gill flukes. Try doing a 30%-40% water change, and see if anything changes in the next few days.

3. PurplePanda145

PurplePanda145Valued MemberMember

What are your water parameters like?

4. seth rodgers

seth rodgersValued MemberMember

Test your water and find out the parameters

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Can you give us more information?

Water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

The red gills are suggestive of water quality issues, possibly ammonia burns.

6. OP
    OP
    Courtney Moreau

So the fish died and my thought is it might be my ph? Everything else is exactly were it should be but my Ph is around 7.5. How can I fix this?

7. PurplePanda145

PurplePanda145Valued MemberMember

I'm pretty sure your ph is fine as long as it remains at 7.5 all the time and doesn't fluctuate.

8. OP
    OP
    Courtney Moreau

It does go down to around 7.2 at times but usually stays around there. My ammonia and nitrites are 0 and my nitrates (last time I checked before a water change after vacation for s week) was 10ppm but followed with a water change. My platy was doing fine! I went to work for 2 hours and came home to him dead.

9. TexasDomer

It shouldn't fluctuate. Is there any way you can take your water to the store and get them to test the GH and KH?

10. OP
    OP
    Courtney Moreau

My LFS is a pet co so possibly? Not even sure what those are though

11. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

GH & KH stand for General Hardness & Carbonate Hardness. These are measurements of how hard your water is. A low KH will make your pH levels more susceptible to change, where water with a higher KH will be less susceptible to change.

12. TexasDomer

Petco might, though I would call ahead and ask before you make the trek. In addition to trying to figure out the fluctuation, I wanted to see if your GH was too low for the platies. Platies are hard water fish and won't thrive in water that's too soft.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice