Sick platy fry

Lmg01

Hi! I have 12 platy fry in a 5 gallon tank. 5 are a few weeks old, 7 are only a week or two old. One of the 7‘s tail fin is jagged and white on the ends. The water was dirty because I waited for the newborns to get a bit bigger before doing a water change. The tank is also infested with ramshorn snails, but I will get rid of them once I get the fish out of the tank. I removed the sick fry and did a large water change. All of the other fry look healthy. Is there anything that I can do for the sick fry? Also, is aquarium salt safe to put in the 5 gallon?

Ksway

Hi! Yes aquarium salt is safe to use but at correct dosage. Look it up before use. Sound like a fungal / bacteria problem which is common in these fish. Fry need very clean water to grow and survive. I'd say the bad water weakend them or stressed them out making them susceptible to the disease. Good clean water with the fry should be enough for the fry left but keep an eye on them. You could possibly treats with meds but seeing as they a fry probably not worth it as you will have 20 more fry next week with the platys lol. Pictures of the fish would be great to get a better idea if the issue.

Lmg01

Hi! Yes aquarium salt is safe to use but at correct dosage. Look it up before use. Sound like a fungal / bacteria problem which is common in these fish. Fry need very clean water to grow and survive. I'd say the bad water weakend them or stressed them out making them susceptible to the disease. Good clean water with the fry should be enough for the fry left but keep an eye on them. You could possibly treats with meds but seeing as they a fry probably not worth it as you will have 20 more fry next week with the platys lol. Pictures of the fish would be great to get a better idea if the issue.
I can’t really get a picture considering I can barely see it myself. I’ll put some aquarium salt in the 5 gallon and I’ll probably just put the sick one out of its misery. I also just discovered that my heater isn’t working, and I ordered a new one. Thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Adam510
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Adam510
  • Fishjunkiejimmy
  • Platy
Replies
Views
Fishjunkiejimmy
  • Question