Sick Platy - Fin Rot? (Photos)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by BatKatie, Jan 1, 2013.

1. BatKatieNew MemberMember

Before I go to the LFS tomorrow and get guided to a bunch of 'cures' that could just be a waste of time for this poor little guy, I'd like to know exactly what's wrong with him and what I need to do to help!

First off, he was in a 10 gallon tank with 'perfect' water parameters (and pH of approx. 7.5), but I noticed he was hanging around near the top of the tank quite a bit. He's not particularly interested in food, either. I (stupidly, I know - the stress of the move probably didn't help) moved him to a newer 45 gallon setup I haven't added anything but an accidental pleco hitchhiker to, thinking if there WAS something wrong, I was kind of quarantining the problem away from the others in my 10G.

I've been keeping an eye on him, and just today I noticed his fins look haggard! He hasn't ever been nipped at or harassed that I've seen, as he's always been with some fairly relaxed fish. I've only been at this a few months, but I haven't lost a fish yet, and I really want this little fella to see old age. :(

Any help would be immensely appreciated - I've included photos I just took. I should also note that the newer 45G setup he was moved to has identical water parameters.

platyfins.jpg

2. tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

Im not sure that is fin rot. Honestly it almost looks like natural art of her fin. Id wait for more experienced advice on that. I hope he gets better for you! I thought it was a female at first because it almost looks like he has a gravid spot. But with a better look at thie pictures I see his boy parts. Has that darker spot near his anal venting always been there??

3. BatKatieNew MemberMember

I thought it was male. >_> Oh my.

Another weird thing, it's been setting itself on the rock and driftwood in the tank, like it doesn't want to swim much. A little worried. :(

Yeah, the dark spot has always been there. He's got a spot on his head as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
  4. tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I redid my post...lol..Has the darker spot always been there? I am wondering if he is constipated or has something else going on internally?

5. BatKatieNew MemberMember

He's looking quite bad, just laying against the gravel or rocks/wood in the tank now. If I do lose him tonight, what should I do to treat the rest of my tanks?

Edit: Just did a 15-ish percent water change on the 45G tank and added some more aquarium salt plus a water/fin and scale conditioner. Did a 25% on the 10G he used to be in and added a little salt for the fish in there as well.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

It doesn't look like it has finrot . It's fins actually look quite nice. Finrot from my expieriance cause discolouration . Try seperating him to his own tank if you have maybe a 5 gallon or something . Give him so live plants and live foods. See how that goes for a good week and if he doesn't recover consult a person at your local pet store

7. BatKatieNew MemberMember

Not that it'll help much, but I just took these other photos:

platy1.jpgplaty2.jpg

Also uploading a video to YouTube as we speak, but it doesn't show anything other than him laying on the bottom like this, leaned over and breathing heavily.

Attached Files:

8. Bettalover99Valued MemberMember

Your fish looks pregnant . I could be mistaken I am on my iPod but take a close look ! Is this a female!? I'm sorry if I'm wrong my screen is so small but it does look pregnant. If its not troubles with being pregnant if it is sick it could be something else . Finrot doesn't happen this way. Do you have a small tank you can move it to? And have you done any tank movements or sudden temperature changes . It could be a state of shock . If I were you I would place it in a small tank with about 5 inches of water and feed it frozen foods. Plattys are hard fish to recover they aren't like bettas or Goldie's . If he or she has only 5 inch deep water it will be alot easier to get food than say 12-20 inches deep . it should be in its own tank just in case to prevent any deseases spreading to other fish

Noticed you did some more changes in you water. This will only put your guy in more shock .. Leave some water out for a couple hours to adjust to the temperature in the room place it in a small tank only 4-6 inches deep and add some live plants to help. Him. If he has any favourite rocks or castles move that there. The more water changes you do he will only get worse. Move him to the small tank and leave him there for the night . He or she will find it hard to get food if ill so maybe pinch some flakes with tweezers and hold them near him
    In the water to make it easier to eat without having to surface.!!! Good luck..Kylie

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2013
  9. ayladWell Known MemberMember

He definitely isn't pregnant, but he looks overfed. Skip feeding for a couple of days, and when you feed again, cut the amount in half.

The tail fin does look ragged, and the behavior you describe isn't normal. You describe your parameters as "perfect." What, exactly, are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in the big tank? How are you testing the water?

I disagree that water changes cause shock. If you match the temperature of the new water to the temperature of your tank, you shouldn't be shocking your fish... especially with changes of less than 50%. You might check to be sure that the pH of your tap water matches the pH of your tank. Also, what is the temperature of this tank? Room temperature is usually not warm enough.

I think you're fiddling with your water too much, though. Salt is rarely useful, and your platy may not be responding well to the salt. I'd start a series of 30% *daily* water changes without salt starting immediately to gradually reduce the salt to near zero.

What else are you adding to your water? I'd recommend using only a dechlorinator, preferably Prime, and nothing else.

10. BatKatieNew MemberMember

I use Nutrafin Aquaplus because Prime isn't carried at any stores nearby.The temperatures of both tanks are kept at 75-77, usually 77 (it only ever really drops in the 10G). The pH of my tank water and tap water stay 7.5, and the readings are 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia and nitrates at 15ppm.

Sadly, woke up today to find the little guy had gone into a cave under the driftwood and passed. We took a closer look at his fins and they really did look worn/frayed. :(

I feel like an idiot for not coming here sooner for this issue, because I went to the LFS a couple of days ago to say 'Oh, he's hanging out near the top of the tank, what do you recommend?' and got sent home with more aquarium salt and an air pump. >.<

This leaves me exceptionally worried for the rest of my fish, though! What should I be doing to treat the tanks left behind? I was going to start really stocking the larger tank, but now I'm nervous to - how long should I wait to see that things are okay?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  11. ayladWell Known MemberMember

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

I'd wait before adding anything new.

I'd also stop using aquarium salt, as I noted earlier. It's not that it's never useful, it's just that it almost never is needed for anything. I haven't needed it in two years of fishkeeping; other members with more experience than me never seem to use or suggest it except for a very very short list of issues.

Before adding any fish, please please set up a quarantine tank (if you haven't already) and quarantine new arrivals for at least a month before putting them into your new tank. Don't add anything new until it has lived in a sickness-free quarantine tank for 4 weeks, minimum. If you can go ahead and set up a cycled QT, you can purchase whatever fish you want next and be quarantining them while observing the fish in your big tank as well.

EDIT: Oh, and as far as treating your tanks: without a cause of death, it's best not to randomly treat anything. Best practice right now is to do the series of daily water changes I recommended to remove the salt. Observe your fish carefully in the meantime for any sign of symptoms; if you see any, check back with us and we can try to help you diagnose the issue.

12. BatKatieNew MemberMember

Went to the LFS because their only experienced fishkeeper was working, and I asked her about the issue - her suggestion was essentially the same, and included being much more careful about how much food they get. She did say salt with my livebearers shouldn't be a problem, though she uses it rarely.

Can I use my 10G as a quarantine tank? It's in our bedroom, so I'm spending a lot of time each evening watching the fish in there, and it's well-established. There's no species that interacts badly with anything I'm planning on putting in my big tank later, so I don't think transitioning them would be an issue - though I'll obviously not do that immediately.

As far as symptoms of anything else go, all of my other fish are acting normally. The only one I'd even be slightly worried about would be my lone swordtail, as she occasionally seems a little lethargic, but she's been like that since I got her about 8 weeks ago, still eats and acts fine - just has little bouts of laziness/not actively swimming a ton.

I really appreciate all the great advice I've gotten here so far, even if a lot of it was for a lost cause in this case. You folks are great. :)

13. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Do you have a photo of your swordtail?

Since the platy was already showing symptoms in your 10gal, there might not be any need to keep the fish separated. Whenever you go buy your new fish, you could just move the 10gal stock over to the big tank while you're drip-acclimating the newcomers. As long as no LFS water or fish contact your current fish, they should be fine. Maybe wait a few days first; you'll probably have more time to deal with all of this on a weekend anyway.

That depends, of course, on how much you have in your 10 right now and how well-established the cycle in your big tank is. Moving a lot of fish all at once might send a newly-cycled tank into a minicycle; if you have a lot, you could move a few over this weekend and do the rest next weekend. Just an idea. ;)

I hope the rest of your fish are fine. I would like to have a look at the swordtail, though. :)

14. BatKatieNew MemberMember

Here are photos of my swordtail - keep in mind the third photo was taken last night after I'd had the lights out for a while, and the deepness of her black tends to fade a little when it's been dark. Her fins are yellow-tinged, and she gets silvery-looking by her head, but it's always been that way. :)

swordtail2.jpgswordtail.jpgswordtail3.jpg

EDIT: Attached the best 'Close-ups' I could get right now.

swordtailclose.jpgswordtailclose2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  15. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Pretty little fish. :)

It sounds as though something *might* be wrong with your water. *Might* be. I suggest to try the water changes and see if it improves.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice