sick platy...been acting strange for two weeks

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I think my platy is sick but he has been sick for quite a while with no signs of getting worse or better. He is swimming fine, a little less active than usual, but not eating. Has not eaten for one and a half weeks. Shows absolutely no interest in food. No signs of spots or fungus. Tank conditions = normal, close to zero nitrates, zero ammonia etc, tank fully cycled. I put him in a quarantine when he started to hide behind plants all day but so far no change.

I recently treated my tank for ich (I think one of my cardinals brought it in around a month ago) but only with half meds, high temp, garlic, salt etc. No one shows signs of ich anymore. Anyway, I recently got a new platy and she has ich but she's been confined to the quarantine tank since I purchased her. I have the sick platy in there with her, should I just treat the quarantine for ich? Or do you think that will kill him?

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ich treatment doesn't sound good at all for your platy, that will stress it to death. But go crazy with the other platy that has ich.
All I can really recommend doing is adding a touch of salt, not enough to hurt the tetras, find something to lower stress such as this:

What is your pH, and what are the exact numbers of your water's parameters?

Also, another thing to consider is maybe your fish is stressed because it is scared. Does your tank have a lot of hiding places? Caves, rocks, thick plants? The more hiding places you have, the more safe the fish will feel, and it will cause it to be more active and less stressed.
Is this platy, and the new platy the only platies you have? Platies are semi-schooling fish, and prefer to be in groups of at least 4. Perhaps adding a few more could help, in a 30 gallon tank, there is plenty of room left.

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't tested my water values since last week but it was 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 1-2 nitrates. I have a lot of plants and driftwood for hiding. As for the quarantine tank, I'm doing frequent water changes because of the ich but otherwise it is about the same as my main tank. I've had the sick platy for about three months now. He's always been the dominant fish in the tank but lately he has been hiding.

I'm not sure what is causing him to feel ill. About three weeks to a month ago, I did some ich treatments on my entire tank. I moved him, my molly and my other platy to a quarantine tank to get a full dose of the medication because my catfish couldn't handle it. My molly was really sick from the ich and she died. During the time in the quarantine he was really violent towards my other fish and I had to remove him from treatment and put him back in the main tank. I noticed when I put him back that he had one or two ich spots on his tail that he didn't before....maybe the quarantine was stressing him out. Anyway, the other platy recovered from ich in the quarantine and is healthy and happy in the main tank right now.

Not too long after I finished treating the main tank for ich, he started hiding out and not eating. There are no signs of ich on his body at the moment. I'm worried maybe it was the stress of the high temperature and the ich treatments that made him sick. Either that, or he didn't get enough treatment and now he is sick. I'm not sure which .

Either way, he's out and about in the quarantine. Doesn't look that sick at the moment but very docile and not eating. I've added one teaspoon of salt per gallon and raised the temperature (he seems to like cuddling by the heater). He's been this way for weeks now but no sign of weight loss. I'm not sure if I should add ich meds at the moment. . Feel bad. He was my first fish.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I understand how you feel. Ich medications are not always necessary. Infact, they are hardly ever necessary...
A temp of 86 F and a little salt will kill off all the ich in a week, two weeks tops.(I always let it go for 2 weeks anyway.)

Maybe it is the treatment that is causing him to be stressed. It is unlikely there would be any disease affecting him, it is most likely just over stressed. Raising the temp will not only kill ich, but it will boost his immune system, so if there is any disease, the boost could help him fight it off. Salt helps avoid bacterial infections mostly, but ich doesn't like it either. One helpful thing salt does is adds an extra slime coat onto the fish. An extra slime coat helps them become less stressed and more resistant to disease. Too much salt will add multiple slime coats, if it adds too many, the fish could be stressed, so be careful with how much you put in. A teaspoon per gallon sounds good.

Usually when they hide out by the heater they are just trying to warm themselves up. Usually because they are stressed out.

Everything I've told you will help, besides lighting incense, idk what else could help you unstress your fish.
Just don't use chemicals to treat ich, that is the really stressful part for them.

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
All right. Thanks a lot! I got two more platys today and now my total is 5. I have three males and two females at the moment. I know that ratio is a bit off but I thought one of them was female at the store but she turned out to be a he... Anyway, the two females are the most aggressive right now. They've claimed about 75% of the quarantine tank and all the rights to food. The boys are all hiding behind the filter. This is so weird.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Idk, sometimes when my gf gets mad I wish I had a filter to hide behind... hah!

Good for you getting new fish, let's see if it will eventually work!

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
haha, platys have it good. I bet plenty of guys wish they had three females to themselves too.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tykhe said:
haha, platys have it good. I bet plenty of guys wish they had three females to themselves too.
This,
Read my mind...Any volunteers?

jk, jk

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ugh, ok he showed one more symptom today. He has a really swollen belly. I think he might have dropsy. Maybe I should euthanize him. He seems to be really suffering.

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got a couple of new platys about a week ago to keep my remaining platy company. One male, three females. The male was fighting with my resident male platy so I was going to take him back, except he hid out behind my plants and I didn't have time to tear up the tank chasing him during the workweek. This weekend, he disappeared. I think my male platy might have killed him.....do platys do that?

Anyway, I'm going on vacation for a week. I isolated my male platy in case he has turned into a serial killer. Here's hoping the male turns up......

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If it was male too, maybe...I've seen my two male red wag platies fan out their fins and circle each other, as though defending territory, but I've never- ever, never ever ever seen them actually start fighting. My male mollies fight all the time, so there is a good chance that it could have killed it. Keep an open eye on those plants to see if there is a platy hiding. If not, you might want to consider tearing everything up to find him. A rotting carcass could cause a few problems.

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well my male was chasing him around but I didn't see any actual fighting. I don't know what happened. I saw the new male hovering around the surface that morning and when I got back from work he was gone. He's a really small skinny guy too. If someone decided to kill and eat him, there may not be any remains. Maybe the size difference was a problem. My male platy is obese. He doesn't let anyone else eat.

Anyway, we'll see if his body turns up. I've had cardinals and neon tetras vanish into thin air before. I'm just surprised this happened. He was healthy and swimming around one day and then the next day gone. So weird.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Be sure you look behind your stand or whatever you have the tank on too. Platies have been known to jump out. Not sure about cardinals, but platies can jump.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom