Sick Parrot needing help

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Valdaisy said:
My parrot fish has these growths on it head and I’m not sure what it is. He’s not very active and isn’t really eating. Please help.
I have been fish keeping for four years and have never seen anything like that. Hopefully these people can help:
coralbandit
richie.p
kallililly1973
A201

Sorry if your not on the list
EDIT: could you please answer these questions;
What are your water parameters?
What size tank?
Water change schedule?
What’s the fish’s Diet?
Is your tank cycled?
If this fish new?
What other fish are in the tank?

The only thing I could even think of is anchor worms but I believe they aren’t normally that big....

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's Hexamita aka: HITH. The white growth is actually a secretion oozing from pits on the head.
If the Parrot is still eating, treat with SeaChem's Metroplex mixed with SeaChem's Focus & soak fish food in it.
Feed the mixture to the Parrot. If he's not eating treat tank with Metroplex. Hope he gets better soon.

OP
V

Valdaisy

Reaction score
What are your water parameters? Not sure
What size tank? 60
Water change schedule? every 2mo give or take
What’s the fish’s Diet? Algae pellets
Is your tank cycled? Yes
If this fish new? No
What other fish are in the tank? Angel fish, Jack Dempsey, pleco, and some small tetras

I was thinking it may be Lymphocystis but not sure.

CaptainAquatics said:
I have been fish keeping for four years and have never seen anything like that. Hopefully these people can help:

Sorry if your not on the list
EDIT: could you please answer these questions;
What are your water parameters?
What size tank?
Water change schedule?
What’s the fish’s Diet?
Is your tank cycled?
If this fish new?
What other fish are in the tank?

The only thing I could even think of is anchor worms but I believe they aren’t normally that big....

What size tank? 60
Is your tank cycled? Yes
If this fish new? No
What other fish are in the tank? Angel fish, Jack Dempsey, pleco, and some small tetras

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like a pretty bad HITH infection. Not Lymphocystis.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Valdaisy said:
What size tank? 60
Is your tank cycled? Yes
If this fish new? No

You have several problems with you tank, cichlids and angelfish do not get along. ( even though an angelfish is a cichlid.) You need to get a test kit, or bring your water to the pet store weekly. Water changes should be 25-50 % weekly. Your pleco is a common and needs at least 300+ gallons. Algae wafers are not a good diet for any fish. Not trying to sound rude, just pointing some stuff out.

OP
V

Valdaisy

Reaction score
A201 said:
That's Hexamita aka: HITH. The white growth is actually a secretion oozing from pits on the head.
If the Parrot is still eating, treat with SeaChem's Metroplex mixed with SeaChem's Focus & soak fish food in it.
Feed the mixture to the Parrot. If he's not eating treat tank with Metroplex. Hope he gets better soon.
Thank you I’ll try that

CoryFan said:
You have several problems with you tank, cichlids and angelfish do not get along. ( even though an angelfish is a cichlid.) You need to get a test kit, or bring your water to the pet store weekly. Water changes should be 25-50 % weekly. Your pleco is a common and needs at least 300+ gallons. Algae wafers are not a good diet for any fish. Not trying to sound rude, just pointing some stuff out.
I welcome any feed back. Thank you for your help I’ll be making some changes. Hopefully if I can get him well I can find him a new home. I’ve known he needed a bigger tank but haven’t been able to rehome him. Again thank you

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A201 said:
That would be why I have never seen it. I have never had to deal with HITH, I have a basic understanding of it and have medications to treat it in case I ever had a case of it, I never knew that it oozed though. I agree with above suggestions :)

New Threads