Sick Panda Corys?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by capper, Apr 2, 2006.

1. capperNew MemberMember

We had 6 Panda Corys in our 48 gallon tank. Today we found one had died. While 4 of the others look fine, one seems to have about half of its tail missing. I am not sure the cause of it. Now, we've suddenly just noticed that about 3 of our Pandas have very small portions of there "top" fin missing. Can anyone assist by telling us what might be wrong and what we should do (if anything)?

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels in that tank? What are the other inhabitants you have in there with them. It sounds like either a water quality issue, or you have a serious fin nipper. Panda corys are one of the more delicate species of cory cats when it comes to water quality. Let us know more about your tank! ;)

3. capperNew MemberMember

The water is in good shape. Ammonia has been 0 consistently. Nitrite is very low. Nitrate is 0. It's a community tank with cardinal & glowlight tetras, african lampeyes, 2 platies, 1 guppy, a pleco, and some shrimp.

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Nitrite must be at zero also. Panda corys don't handle less than perfect water conditions. If you don't have any nitrates, it sounds like your tank hasn't cycled yet. Keep a close eye on your parameters. The pandas can't take much ammonia or nitrite. ;)

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes, your tank must not be cycled, which is not good for the Pandas. Once your tank is cycled, if they don't start improving you may need to treat for finrot. What other fish do you have in there?

6. capperNew MemberMember

Our tank is definitely cycled. I think the problem is that for all my readings of PH, Ammonia, and Nitrite, I use liquid drops. However, here in Tokyo, I couldn't find anything for testing Nitrate except for the strips. I have used them several times but have never been able to register any reading. I just assumed that meant 0. I suppose they don't work??? They have never shown any reading at all.

7. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes the strips are probably not working. The reason I think your tank is not cycled is not because of no Nitrates, but because you are getting Nitrite readings. In a cycled tank there will be no Ammonia or Nitrites. But the cycle is almost done since the readings for both are low.