Sick Pacu

1. Sady Initiate Member

I have a sick Pacu fish, his skin is coming off around the corners of his mouth. I have tried different medications, nothing is helping. He is acting fine, but the infections is starting to spread towards his cheeks. Does anyone know what is going on here?

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Gives us a bit more information.
    Tank size, frequency amd percentage of water changes,,,

Welcome to Fishlore, BTW!!

Dino

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Sadie, Welcome to FishLore! You are in great hands! Dino is very knowledgeable when it comes to fish, especially pacus! Give us som more information, and we will get your friend back to normal! ;)

4. Sady Initiate Member

;D My tank is 55 gallons, and I change 25% of water every two weeks. I also change the carbon on the filter once a month. It's looks as though the skin around the sides of his mouth is being eaten, but there isn't any sign of any worm infestation or anything. It's almost like taken acid and how that eats the skin. The water PH is balanced also. I just put him on Furan, the other medicine he was on, didn't do anything. What do you think it might be, and how did it happen? Thanks Jen

5. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Increase the changes to 30% a week.
    Toss the carbon, water changes will do the same thing.

pH is balances, at what reading?

Size of fish?

Dino

6. darinfox Initiate Member

Sady,

First off, I am a newbie here. So keep that in mind. However, I had a very similar experience recently which had a happy ending. I was trying to cycle a 5 gallon tank with 2 mollies. One started showing the same symptoms you mention, except it happend on the top of his head. It looked like acid was slowly eating away the skin from behind the eyes, and over time it slowly crept back to where the top fin starts. I put him in a separate 2.5 g tank, and I administered Quick Cure and Marcyn for 3 days. Followed the instructions and took out the filter during this time. Then I did water changes for 2-3 days. He did a lot of bottom sitting during this time, but eventually the skin started growing back and he is now back in the 5 gallon with the other Molly and seems no worse for the wear.

P.S. For others who may be reading, I'm sure I caused this initial problem by not changing the water enough during the first 2 weeks and stressing the fish out. I just did not realize I had to do this...since this was my first aquarium. This illness is what prompted me to start reading, and I am glad I found fishlore.com as a result.

7. Jon Well Known Member Member

the medications probably wont work with the carbon in your filter... you mentioned you change the carbon in your filter monthly? prolly should stop that it takes out medications and ive heard it only really works for 24 hours

8. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Do those water changes, they are so important.
    Could you tell us what your ammonia, Nitrite, NitrAte and pH readings are please.
    What size is your Pacu? They have such great personalities.
    AND WELCOME TO FISHLORE!!!!!! ;D
    Carol