Sick Oto, need advise fast

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My Oto Marble in my 20gal has come down with a "body slime" infection--basically just whitish patches on his body. Let me give you the history of this disease... I bought 6 Pygmy Cories quite a while ago. Soon after one of them died with this disease. I didn't treat because I didn't recognise what the white patches were--he was the smallest cory and I figured he was just stressed from the move. Well, 2 more died--actually I never saw their bodies, they just disappeared, but I assume it was from the "slime disease." The other 3 remained healthy for a long time. Just recently, one of the Pygmies came down with the slime disease (this was after the Otos were added to the tank but before I got the Betta). I treated it in the 20gal, with Melafix. Now all of a sudden Marble came down with the disease. I don't understand it--he is a perfectly healthy mature fish in an established tank, with nothing to stress him out that I can think of.

Anyway, normally I would just move him to the q tank and treat but there are currently fish in the q tank. Also, something tells me I should treat in the 20gal since the disease seems to be present in there and is attacking fish every once in a while. But, I can't treat with Melafix in there with the Betta in the tank. I could treat with another bacterial medication, but none of mine say they treat anything to the effect of "body slime." I could try something like Jungle Fungus Clear, which treats a bunch of bacterial infections but doesn't specifically list body slime, but I am not guaranteed it would work.

The other option is to move the Betta to the q tank and move the cories in the q tank into the 20 gal. But, I have only had them in q for a week and they keep dying on me for no reason. I can't figure out if they're sick or if they're just stressed from the move and dying because they are so tiny and delicate. I am not really worried about them getting the slime disease--it does not seem extremely contagious and I figure they have as good a chance of getting it a month from now as they do today. I am more worried that they may be carrying diseases. In fact, I just lost another one today.

I could probably put off treating a day or two to see how the Corydoras habrosus in the q tank are doing, but Marble's case is already pretty bad since I hadn't seen him for a few days.

I just don't know what to do... (and sorry for the long post... ) If anyone has any thoughts on this that would be much appreciated.

MamaM

Reaction score
I wish I had the answers for you. My gut reaction is to medicate immediately, but with your q tank taken and your betta in the tank with your oto, it becomes trickier. If you had a warm safe tank to temporarily house your betta, you'd be able to treat the tank. I'd be wary on moving the corys because you lost one recently (and like you said, they may be carrying diseases). I hope someone else with more experience will have better answers for you. But I want to send my support & good thoughts for a full recovery for Marble! Take care!

Sharon

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you don't have the spare cash &/or space for a 5 gallon or 10 gallon tank.. maybe what you could do as an relatively inexpensive solution to the fish housing problem would be a rubbermaid container big enough to hold about 1 - 1.5g (if you have one you could clean with hot water good so it's fish-safe you wouldn't even have to buy one), a submersible heater and one of those little small-tank filters (all of which should be at your local wally world - ours even has one of those heaters that all it does it heat up so you have to turn it off if the water's too warm but it's like $7, half of the submersible that says it will maintain 78F.) Not really like a super home for your Betta, but it could work as a temp home and keep costs to a minimum - maybe even with room for a fav. decoration or 2 for the Betta. Then you could move the Betta over while you treat the 20g. He might not be the happiest with his small home, but it's about the cheapest way I can think of to let you keep the corys where they are and still treat the otos & the 20 gallon tank, but not the betta. You could take a few sheets of paper to secure to (or just lie on top of) the container as a "lid" if you're concerned about him jumping out, with holes cut big enough for the power cord & a feeding spot.

I'd probably try the Fungus Clear as it seems to be such a good & popular product, but I've not had any "body slime" infections come along in our fish so I'm not sure if a Maracyn & Maracyn-2 combo wouldn't be better. Also did you check this link: - did it list anything exactly like what your otos have or close? Did you put your post on the Otos forum?

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry I haven't replied in so long--I've been terribly busy and haven't gotten on the forum in a while.

Anyway, it seems as if the fish decided what to do for me. Soon after my post another of the Cories came down with the mystery disease and died, so no way I could move the remaining 3 out of the q tank. While deciding what to do, Marble disappeared. I figured she had died. The tank has a bad green water algae problem so I could never see the body. I decided not to medicate since none of the other fish were sick, and I doubted anything besides the Melafix would help anyway. Well, the little stinker Marble came swimming out of nowhere today as if nothing had happened--after 2 weeks of not seeing her she must have recovered on her own. I will have to check her in the morning since the tank light was off when I saw her, but it seems the slime is gone.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
0morrokh said:
Sorry I haven't replied in so long--I've been terribly busy and haven't gotten on the forum in a while.

Anyway, it seems as if the fish decided what to do for me. Soon after my post another of the Cories came down with the mystery disease and died, so no way I could move the remaining 3 out of the q tank. While deciding what to do, Marble disappeared. I figured she had died. The tank has a bad green water algae problem so I could never see the body. I decided not to medicate since none of the other fish were sick, and I doubted anything besides the Melafix would help anyway. Well, the little stinker Marble came swimming out of nowhere today as if nothing had happened--after 2 weeks of not seeing her she must have recovered on her own. I will have to check her in the morning since the tank light was off when I saw her, but it seems the slime is gone.
We're sorry for your losses, but happy little Marble made it through.. Amazing how toughly they fight to live and often beat the odds.

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Saw Marble today and she's back to her old self. I should have known she'd be ok. So far my Otos have both been through a horrible case of finrot, and then Mist got caught in a plastic plant and injured himself pretty badly, and then they lived through an entire tank die-out due to a TB infection, and then they were moved to a different tank twice, and now Marble has come down with the mystery slime disease. Now you'd never know anything had happened to them. Well, hopefully their troubles are done with.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tough little fish there. Hopefully they'll be able to have no more to tough through and just live the good life in their tank.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom