Sick Oscar Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TXOscar, Aug 17, 2019.

1. TXOscar

TXOscarNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    I set up a 75 gallon tank approx. 3 weeks ago. I do know about the nitrogen cycle now but didn't know then. I have a fluval 406 that is running cycled media from my LFS and I also used turbo start. My tap water test at Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. My aquarium has been testing at Ammonia .5, Nitrite 0, and maybe a small trace of Nitrate. I have been using Prime every 36-48 hours to deal with the Ammonia. I have a baby Jack Dempsey, baby Oscar, and a 4 inch Severum in the tank. The Severum and the JD are doing fine, swimming around and eating. The Oscar stays in the back the tank on the bottom under the filter intake. He has done that for 2 days. A couple of days ago, I did see something white and stringy come out of him. What could be wrong with him? Should I quarantine him?

2. FishGirl38

FishGirl38Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +330
    Experience:
    3 years
    Funny, I have a 10In oscar, 5in Severum, 2 4in parrons fish, a firemouth, and a bichir in a 75G with a Fluval 406. Real similar set-up. Though I'm at that point where I needa upgrade my tank, my oscar chases my severum relentlessly.

White and Stringy poop is usually a sign of an internal parasite. Are there any other symptoms? Is he eating? If he isn't acting 'right' and won't eat, I would assume something is wrong and I would quarantine him for internal parasites.

When I brought my oscar home, he was 2 In and swam kinda funny. Like my filter was too strong for him, now he's the biggest, strongest guy in my tank, If you don't quarantine him, just keep an eye on him to make sure nothing gets worse (though if it is internal parasites - still not sure, they won't just go away on their own). They're resilient fish.

3. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,538
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Several things might be contributing to the Oscar's declining condition; obviously Ammonia, possible bullying from the JD, or Hexamita. Oscars are prone to hex, especially in less than stable water parameters.
    Metronidazole is used to treat Hexamita, but rule out the first two possibilities before dosing Meds.

4. OP
    OP
    TXOscar

TXOscarNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    He def has not eaten in a couple days. If I put him in a separate tank, should I treat with Pimafix and Melafix? Would that maybe help him?

5. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,538
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Seachem's Metroplex. The herbal meds are more of an antiseptic.

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Welcome to FishLore!

I'm sorry your Oscar is sick. It does sound like internal parasites. Since he's not eating, you'll want to treat with a pour in the tank type of med that cures internal parasites. You may also want to treat the other tank, because I think they may be contagious. But if the other fish are eating, you may want to get a medicated food that treats internal parasites because that's the best way of treating for them.

And as mentioned, stay away from the various "fix" meds. You need a real med

Best of luck!