Sick Or Injured?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Daniebaby, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Daniebaby

DaniebabyValued MemberMember

Trying to help my step kids.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    10 gallons

How long has the tank been running?
    2 or 3 months

Does it have a filter?
    Yes

Does it have a heater?
    No

What is the water temperature?
    68 f.

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    4 neon tetras (I think)
    4 black tetras? Maybe..

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    I'm pretty sure the water doesn't get changed.

How much of the water do you change?
    I don't know.

What do you use to treat your water?
    I did dose it with prime a couple of days ago but I think plain dechloronator was used initially
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
    Neither

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    Yes

What do you use to test the water?
    Nothing, usually but today I used test strips.

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:idk
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate:40
    pH:7.8

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    Idk
    How much do you feed your fish?
    Idk
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Tetra tropical flakes
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
    Nope
    Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    They have had it for one month but I am rescuing them today.

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    Three days

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    Fish has white growths or injuries, hard to tell what it is.

Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    I pulled them out of my step kid's tank and bagged them. They are floating in a QT tank right now.

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    Two of the fish aren't swimming well.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

This is my step kids' tank. I didn't agree with them having a tank here as they aren't here often enough to care for it but my wonderful man told me he'd take care of it and don't interfere.

Well, it's summer and I'm home with a couple of kids who are worried about their fish. I'm gonna try to rescue them for the sake of the fish but I have no clue what's going on and I'm hesitant to get involved in this tank because It was brought here against my will.

So far have them acclimating in my 10 gallon but I don't have a heater so I'm debating using a big bucket and putting them outside with a filter to warm them up.

Any advice is appreciated
    -

Attached Files:

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13Fishlore VIPMember

This is a sad situation. There’s so much you need to do here. If you’re adding them to a ten gallon qt is it a cycled tank? You’re going to need a liquid test kit. Testing for ammonia/nitrites very important. A heater is also needed. You can’t put them in a bucket outside to warm them up. It could get to hot and wild temp changes are going to make their condition worse. If you can, get better pics showing the spots you’re talking about.

I truly appreciate you’re stepping in to try to save the little finbabies especially when you didn’t want them to begin with. Your heart is in the right place. Once you have the tank set up right, you’ll have to do water changes (25-30%) at least once a week. You’ll have to test the water often to check for ammonia/nitrite spikes. Post the pics as soon as you can. We’ll do what we can for you. :)

3. OP
    OP
    Daniebaby

I already jumped the gun and put them on the patio in the bucket. The 10 gallon is cycled. I used the water and filter from the 10 gallon in the bucket. Do you suggest I move them?. I won't be able to get a heater within the next few days and the 10 gallon tank is about 64 right now and will probably be colder at night as I keep my A.C. very low.

4. OP
    OP
    Daniebaby

I just netted the fish out of the bucket to inspect them (I can't see them at all in the bucket). Well, I can't even tell which fish was hurt or sick. Not a single mark on any of the fish.

My question is, what do I do now? Can they go back in their tank? 10 gallon tank? Pond? Leave in bucket hospital on patio for longer because its warm there?

Is it still possible that whatever it was is contagious? Is it possible they were injuries from the bigger tetras in their tank?