Sick Of Water Changes. Time To Buffer?

edevingo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've been doing water changes every 3/4 days for years now because my ph drops from 8-8.2 all the way into low 7. I've never gone longer than 4 days without a water change because of it. I also have a pool so I know my KH is most likely to blame. I've been avoiding messing with my water chemistry because my lake Malawi cichlids are active and spawn regularly and never lost anyone. Which I'd have to imagine is due to them living in a constant out with the old in with the new water change schedule I'm a slave too. Which I'd love to slow down on without being paranoid that I'm going to wake up with someone dead.
So my question is, if I use Seachem Malawi buffer with my water change will that hold my levels? Or will I still need to also add something for my Kh? If I do start using the buffer, do I dose per the instructions or will that be to much of a shock to my fish? Guess I'm not sure if the buffer is to just maintain, which is what I'm looking for or does it also raise everything.
Thanks
Liz

edevingo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fashooga said:
You should look at getting crush coral. 1 cup to 40 gallons.

That will help bring up your pH.
I have that in my smaller tanks but I've been hesitant to take up that much space in my canister in my 110g. This may sound stupid but if I put it in my Fx4 which it would have to replace one of my biomax trays, will the BB take to the coral just as it does to the biomax? Also is it one cup of straight crushed coral or the aragonite mix?

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have mine in my FX4 as well. It doesn’t take much room...I put it in a bag and didn’t take much space...but for you I think if you find a way to push it in there it might work out...I know the trays are small.

I got straight up crushed coral from Petco.

edevingo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
TexasGuppy said:
What would cause that large of a pH drop so quickly?
Do you have a lot of plants?

Malawi/Victoria Buffer effect on KH and GH - Seachem Support Forums says it will raise kh/pH.
I actually don't have any plants. Without getting into numbers my tap waters KH is very low while the GH is high. I'd say it's a combination of whatever my town puts into the tap water and my bioload of my aquarium. I know I'll never get away with monthly water changes, nor could I personally ever imagine leaving it a month but I'd love to go on a weeks vacation and not have to stress over my tanks. Lol.
I've been putting it off because, messing with water chemistry makes me really nervous, for the sake of my fish. My pool not so much, although having to listen to my kids complain about not being able to swim just yet is pretty close. Lol

Mom2some

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have low kH which caused a pH crash in my tank a few years ago. I bought a container of crushed shells sold as betta substrate and cuttlefish bone (from the bird section, get those with no flavoring or additive). The shell pieces are so small I can slip them in with my biomedia, at the bottom of the canister, etc. the cuttlefish bone I either add to the filter between sponges(sometimes in pieces and/or stick it inside the fake log. These have brought my kH up by about 2-3 drops which is enough to hold my pH stable. It might not be enough if your kH is super low.

edevingo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mom2some said:
I have low kH which caused a pH crash in my tank a few years ago. I bought a container of crushed shells sold as betta substrate and cuttlefish bone (from the bird section, get those with no flavoring or additive). The shell pieces are so small I can slip them in with my biomedia, at the bottom of the canister, etc. the cuttlefish bone I either add to the filter between sponges(sometimes in pieces and/or stick it inside the fake log. These have brought my kH up by about 2-3 drops which is enough to hold my pH stable. It might not be enough if your kH is super low.
I actually talked to the water department.I live in MA and every spring my tanks act up. Apparently all the salt and stuff they put on our roads in the winter obviously run off and effect our tap. Which now makes sense as to my tank issues every year around this time. My kh is not only very low but its allot lower than my GH.
I also didn't learn all this until we had a pool installed and started going to the pool store with water to help with chemicals. To bad fish stores aren't as helpful. Lol. I was told last night at the pool supply store that I'd need a canister full of crushed coral in my 110g, to help. Again the pool store explained that owning a salt water pool in my area can be a challenge due to maintaining the correct water levels. Hence my sisters struggles with her inground salt water pool. Who would've guessed my local pool store would be so helpful with my aquariums. Go figure. Lol. Thanks for your replies!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom