Sick odessa barb?

1. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

For the past week or two, one of my odessa barbs has been swimming funny (almost as if he's too buoyant, like he seems to always float to the top and when he isn't at the top it looks as if he's really trying to stay down).

I tested the tank water yesterday and had ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 5. I did a water change today. None of the other fish in my tank are showing any signs of sickness.

The poor little guy still eats fine but there's definitely something wrong with him. The other barbs are starting to pick on him and nip his fins too.
    Is this some disease or sickness he has? Is there any way I can help him?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help,
    Rachel

2. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Have you separated him from the other fish so he isn't still getting picked on? Kinda sounds like swim bladder issues, but I'm no expert by any means.

3. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

No, I didn't want to stress him out more by separating him or putting him in a new environment . The tanks pretty big so he has plenty of room to hide and get away from the others. He doesn't seem to get nipped too bad because he separates himself from the group.

And I was thinking the same thing about it maybe being a swim bladder problem, but I too am no expert. I actually thought only goldfish got swim bladder diseases? But I don't know. Wednesday I tried giving him peas which I heard were supposed to help with swim bladder problems in case that is the issue but I didn't see any improvement that day or the day after. I'm now visiting in South Carolina so I'm not sure how he's doing and won't be back til Thursday to check on him. Hoping he pulls through though.

4. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

Well I'm back home now and the barb is still alive but still having the same problems. Any thoughts?