Sick ocellaris not eating!

Ling313

I recently bought 2 ocellaris clownfish last week Wednesday. As soon as I got them in the water, one started pooping out long clearish white string. I figured it was internal parasites. Next day I started prazipro. The second fish started pooping out same stringy white stuff. Since then, both continue to poop out white/clear strings. One looks good-swimming well and eating well. No normal poop yet. The other won’t eat. He swims weird (being blown around a bit- even with powerhead off), hangs around the powerhead, and looks at the food but no eating. He has even taken food but spits it out. I’ve tried flakes, new life Thera-A small pellets (which the other one loves), frozen carnivore with mysis, frozen brine shrimp, tried soaking pellets and mysis in garlic guard. I did water change and repeat dose prazipro yesterday (bottle says can repeat dose as early as 3 days, it was day 4). I’m running out of ideas. I wouldn’t be so worried if he was eating. Please help.

Attachments

• 8E393B11-DB28-40DE-BC5B-C83C0C492466.jpeg
    8E393B11-DB28-40DE-BC5B-C83C0C492466.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 18

ChrissFishes01

You're probably correct on internal parasites - stringy white poop is often a tell-tale sign. That said:

1) Can you give us more info about the tank? Tank size, tank mates, parameters, tank age, etc...
2) Internal parasites would be better treated with metronidazol with a food binder - like Metroplex and Seachem Focus. You mix that into their food, and it's much more effective. Prazipro likely won't help you too much, IME.
3) I assume you're not QT'ing? Might be something worth looking into... I get the temptation, but I've been burned by too many disease outbreaks myself to not recommend QT'ing, especially for reef tanks.

Upvote 0

Ling313

It’s a newly cycled tank (2mo) and these are the first and only living things in there, other than the bacteria of course. It’s a 14 gal tank, amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate less than 5. Salinity 1.024, temp 79.3. I took out filter media and medicated with api general cure and erythromycin since he was worsening. He won’t eat anything so I can’t medicate his food. He’s so weak he mostly lies on the floor now

Upvote 0

ChrissFishes01

It’s a newly cycled tank (2mo) and these are the first and only living things in there, other than the bacteria of course. It’s a 14 gal tank, amm 0, nitrite 0, nitrate less than 5. Salinity 1.024, temp 79.3. I took out filter media and medicated with api general cure and erythromycin since he was worsening. He won’t eat anything so I can’t medicate his food. He’s so weak he mostly lies on the floor now
Erythromycin is definitely not something you want to dose into a display tank, just FYI. Neither is General Cure, typically.

If he's not eating, the best thing to do would be to remove him from the tank and treat him in a separate container. Treating with most medications in your display is a very, very bad idea - it's hard to say which inverts will and won't be killed by which medications, and if those medications will soak into your rock and sand or not. If they do, then even in the future, keeping inverts will be dangerous due to the possibility of those medications leeching into the water.

Even if the sick guy doesn't make it, the other will likely have to be treated as well. Again - best done in a separate tank.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TurtleManBob
  • Question
Replies
Views
faywayway
Replies
Views
Aquarist