Sick New Betta Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Kalmia, Jun 19, 2019.

1. KalmiaNew MemberMember

Got 2 new female betta fish today from a local breeder with a good reputation. Breeder says they have been together since birth. My friend picked them up for me. Unfortunately, "local" for us is still over an hour away, plus there were other stops on the way home, so took 3.5 hours to get the new fish home. When they got home, one looked great. The other was swimming upside down.

Her tail is ripped, she is missing one eye, and looks like she is missing some scales. She is still breathing. I added Prime to the bag and a little tank water to start her adjusting. I put an airstone in there to get lots of oxygen in the water. Anything else I can do to help her? I do have a breeder box, would she do better in there in the tank than in the bag?

Could this have happened on the ride home? I didn't pick the fish up so I don't know what she looked like, except I know for sure she wasn't sideways or upside down.

Will try to upload a picture

2. KalmiaNew MemberMember

3. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

It would be better to move her to the breeder box in the tank where she has heated and filtered water. Adding Indian almond leaves or Stressguard can have therapeutic and antiseptic properties to promote the healing process.

Was she already missing an eye before? Were both bettas in the same bag? Can we see the other betta?

4. SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

If they were bagged together it is likely they could have quarreled on the way to their new house and with just two it’s probably going to be the one beating up on the other. I’ve never tried a sorority tank but from the other posts I’ve read on here others recommend at least five to distribute the aggression and set a working hierarchy.

5. KalmiaNew MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gal
    How long has the tank been running? 6 months
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? 78
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 6 pygmy corydoras, a handful of cherry shrimp, 3 guppies, and these 2 new bettas

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Every 1-2 weeks
    How much of the water do you change? 50%
    What do you use to treat your water? Nothing, well water, no chlorine
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum just the surface

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? API test kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0 or 0.25, hard to tell the difference in color
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 10
    pH: 8.2

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? couple times a week
    How much do you feed your fish?
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval, Repashy, Omega One
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? Today
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Soon as we got home
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Swimming upside down
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? Airstone, Prime in the water
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I don't know for sure, don't think so
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

6. KalmiaNew MemberMember

My tank has tannins, will that count instead of the indian almond leaves?

I don't know if she was missing an eye before. I don't think so, but really can't be certain. Yes both bettas were in the same bag. I will try to get a picture

7. KalmiaNew MemberMember

AGH

And I thought I did my research before hand. :( Well she can go in my 29 gal if she survives

8. KalmiaNew MemberMember

9. SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

If you have some marine salt I’d put a pinch full in say a gallon container let her chill for a day and she how she does.

10. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Any tannins work fine.

Both bettas cannot be together in a bag. If they were originally in a female sorority tank from the seller then it's fine because there's a hierarchy between all females, but when they got put in the bag it disrupted the hierarchy. With only two bettas one will always be dominant over the other and will try to kill her. Bettas cannot be kept together in that small of a tank unless you divide it.

11. KalmiaNew MemberMember

Well I messaged the breeder and he apologized. He said he thought it would be okay because they were from the same tank, but the bag was too small and they fought. He said he will replace her next time I get that way. So he thinks she was fine and healthy when he bagged her.

I am so disappointed. I did some research and asked the breeder and I thought 2 girls in a 10 gal would work. It's okay, if she lives, she can go in my 29 gal. With only 1 eye, I don't think she will take out my cherry shrimp colony. And if she does... eh, I am tired of having to net them out of the bucket every water change, anyway.

12. SaltyPhoneWell Known MemberMember

Sorry it didn’t work out the way you wanted it to :( Step back recompose and you will nail it next time!