Sick Neon Question

1. Jckronk76 Initiate Member

Looking for suggestions on treatment. Yesterday he just had one small spot on the front of his dorsal fin. This morning I found that it had spread. Currently he's in quarantine and dosed with ParaGard. 3d6a9484f10140e79b7c9448d08d5fd0.jpg ccff7d4dba1806faf5f5eac369edc7f3.jpg

2. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

This looks to me like classic saddleback disease, caused by the bacterium Flexobacter columnare or "Columnaris".

This looks too advanced to save the fish, but I may be wrong.

I don't use medications so cannot advise there. I rely on natural resistance supported by good living conditions.

3. Discusluv Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry, Paraguard will do nothing for this. It is Saddleback disease from columnaris flexibactar. It is highly contagious so I would look at your other fish to make sure they are not exhibiting similar signs of the disease. The treatment is a combination of kanamycin sulfate/nitrofurizone. Look for medications that have these two antibiotics as their active ingredients. I would treat your main tank as all fish have been exposed.

4. Jckronk76 Initiate Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I just dosed my QT with kanaplex, guess we will see what happens.

All my other fish look great, water paramters were good but I did a 30% change anyway, hopefully i can avoid dosing the main tank as last time I had to do that the kanaplex wiped out my Bio filter and had a mini cycle which just finished actually, probably why this fish is sick tbh.

Updates will follow..

Apparently columnaris is no joke. Total change in fishes behavior minutes after starting this post. Gasping rapid breathing couldn't swim. Had to euthanize him. Hopefully no one else gets sick.