Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Sick Neon Tetra.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Vixjuliet, Apr 14, 2019.

1. VixjulietNew MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 65 litres
    How long has the tank been running? since about 1st march
    Does it have a filter? yes
    Does it have a heater? yes
    What is the water temperature? 26.5 c
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    2 dwarf gouramis, 5 neon tetras, 2 harlequin rasboras, 2 amano shrimp
    Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? every 2 weeks, although have changed it each week since tetras have been sick.
    How much of the water do you change? about 25%
    What do you use to treat your water? Aquacare tap water conditioner
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? when doing bi-weekly water changes I vacuum the substrate at the front of the tank. it is more difficult to get to the back because of plastic plants etc.

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes for one week, I upgraded from a smaller tank, so ran the filter from that tank alongside new bigger filter to help with good bacteria.
    What do you use to test the water? Tetra 6 in 1 test kit ands API Amonia test strips.
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 1
    Nitrate: 10
    pH: 6.4

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Once a day in the evening, about 7pm
    How much do you feed your fish? One good pinch , they eat it in about 2 mins
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Aquacare tropical flakes or King British tropical flake
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? I have had the two affected neon tetras since 27th Jan 201
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About 2 weeks ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? white growth on their mouth and fin on underside and tail fin slightly raggy with a touch of white.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? yes I have used Anti Bacteria and Fungus treatment by Love Fish, once weekly for the last 2 weeks and have just done a third treatment yesterday. It is better than at first but still not completely gone.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No, not that I could tell
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The sick couple were hanging around the back of the tank at first but I think they are coming out more now and are schooling with the other three.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    I don't feel it is an emergency, as my fish haven't got any worse and the problem has not spread. I would just like some advice as to what to do next if this third treatment doesn't get rid of it completely. I have some API Pimafix but haven't used it incase the two medications should interact. The Love Fish treatment just seems to be very slow at working . I put 13mls of the solution which is 20mls of product dissolved in 500mls warm water ,into my 65 litre tank. any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore sorry you’re having a problem, hope our members can help you today

3. VixjulietNew MemberMember

bump HELP!

4. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

You're possibly facing two issues.

The mouth-ulcers : having seen and read so many issues I suspect this to be a vital issue. No treatment seems to help but it isn't lethal and contagious (only other neons).

The ragged and whittish fins could point towards to a neon specific strain of Columnaris bacteria buy I'd expect them to get worse / more ill quite fast.

Can you place pics?

5. VixjulietNew MemberMember

Thanks, for your help. I was thinking of trying API Pimafix, what do you think? I don't want to upset my other healthy fish though and I don't really want to set up a quarantine tank again as I have just put it into storage after quarantining my guouramis. I will try to post some pictures. Thanks again, and Happy Easter!

6. VixjulietNew MemberMember

7. VixjulietNew MemberMember

Hope you can see whats happening. thanks for the help!

8. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Think I was right.
    @redshark what do you think ?

9. VixjulietNew MemberMember

Any suggestions of what treatment to try? Sorry the pictures aren't great but I guess you can see the problem if you look closely. I've done a 25% water change and added a fourth treatment of Love Fish antibacteria and fungus treatment, but I don't think it's going to work. It's not getting any worse or spreading but it's not going either. Should I try the API Pimafix? What would you do?

10. VixjulietNew MemberMember

Oh, by the way, I have my water temperature at 80 degrees , is this too warm? I have dwarf Gouramis, harlequin rasboras and amano shrimp in there too. They all seem quite happy. Just wondering if temperature is having any effect on the disease?

11. VixjulietNew MemberMember

Hi, all, I'm into my sixth week of treatment , four weeks of Love Fish bacteria and fungus treatment, and now a second week of Melafix and Pimafix. I'm doing 25% water changes every week and my parameters are all good. I don't know what to try next. I have read about antibiotics such as Furan-2 and API General Cure on Amazon, but they don't ship these to the UK. Does anyone know where I could hold of them? or what I should do if another week of Melafix and Pimafix doesn't work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this is driving me nuts! as I want to get my filter media back in there, to polish up my water so I can enjoy my aquarium. Please help.:(