Sick Neon Tetra???

akcarroll12

Image1533734716.838052.jpg
So I got 10 neon tetras yesterday. They are all acting beautifully. But this morning I woke up and one was dead. Is it normal for a fish or two to die off in a school newly added to a new tank? Also there is a fish drifting apart from the group. He is discolored and swimming by himself. Is this neon tetra disease or is he adjusting to a new home? The tank is a 30 gallon with 6 albino cories, about 75 degrees with plenty of hiding places. It has been established for a few months and fully cycled. Thanks!

Advertisement
FishFor2018
View attachment 464423
So I got 10 neon tetras yesterday. They are all acting beautifully. But this morning I woke up and one was dead. Is it normal for a fish or two to die off in a school newly added to a new tank? Also there is a fish drifting apart from the group. He is discolored and swimming by himself. Is this neon tetra disease or is he adjusting to a new home? The tank is a 30 gallon with 6 albino cories, about 75 degrees with plenty of hiding places. It has been established for a few months and fully cycled. Thanks!
It’s usally normal for a few to die as long as the tank is normal. What are the water parameters? I would put the neon that’s discolored and not schooling in a QT tank ASAP.

Advertisement
Lh 90 gallon
neon tetras are one fish that I generally lose one or two with in 24 hours of buying even with slowly acclimating them by adding tank water to the bag of store water over 2 hours. from my experience when one gets pale like that it generally dies.

akcarroll12
It’s usally normal for a few to die as long as the tank is normal. What are the water parameters? I would put the neon that’s discolored and not schooling in a QT tank ASAP.

The neon died. The other neons are acting healthy and active. They are schooling pretty loosely. 0 - 0 - >10

FishFor2018
The neon died. The other neons are acting healthy and active. They are schooling pretty loosely. 0 - 0 - >10
Yeah it’s normal to lose a couple parameters sound fine though

oOBlueOo
Neons, unfortunately, have been over bred. A lot of them in the chain stores are either weak or sick. I had one fish store that had awesome neons, they closed down, but they were quarentined before being sold.

I recently found another fish store that sells them rather expensive ,but they're quarantined and also in good health.

One thing I watch when buying neons is what their ph is. Most tank bred fish can handle a wide range of ph, but both my past source and present source keep neons in a low ph water. One thing I do is have a separate tank set up with tap and RO water to very very slowly acclimate the neons to my high ph over several weeks.

Advertisement
Iceberg Mays
I started with a school of 5 neons, now I only have one. I brought them the same time I bought my Colored Skirt tetras. 5 of each. Two of them mysteriously disappeared, but I had a crayfish then, so I assumed they were eaten by it. I added baby cichlids to the tank, and two died within a week, just stress because they are always ignored by the other fish. So the lone neon, is still kicking it. It knows the signs of when I'm about to feed them, when I lift the lid of the aquarium cover.
I honestly was waiting for it do just die, but its still kicking it. My son calls them the zombie fish because they just float in the water paying no attention to what's going on in the tank compared to all the other fish. Should I add more to the tank? or just let him be? My tank is a 37 gallon tank. Its in habitants are 4 Colored Skirt tetras, one small cory, a baby bristlenose pleco, 3 baby african cichlids, and one baby firemouth cichlid. The largest inhabitants right now is an african cichlid, a little under an inch. After him is the 4 Colored Skirt tetras which are just under an inch.

Lh 90 gallon
What African cichlids do you have in your tank. As a general rule of thumb African cichikids should only be kept with African cichlids because they are territorial and will make a quick meal of normal community fish.

Iceberg Mays
powder blue and electric yellow, and a bumble bee. they are quite small right now. Pays no attention to the tetras. Honestly I was totally cool with the cichlids making a meal of the tetras. if that eve happens. but currently they all get along well. since I added a ton of hiding spots and decor in the tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
  • Question
Replies
Views
Redroofinn
  • Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch