Help Sick naso tang!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinnibaby87

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a naso tang in a 75 gallon tank. He's a small guy only about 3 inches long and we've had him about 3 weeks. I noticed today he's been lying on the bottom of the tank, sometimes on his side and doesnt move around much. He's changed his color is darker with his white spots-which I know he does when threatened.

The tank water quality is perfect, everything is within range. Recently did a water change, tank has been set up a bit over a year. Aside from him we have a blue hippo tang, two damsels, a nemo, a mandarin goby and two anemones, a green bubble and a white one. Also 2 shrimp.

The tang will OCCASIONALLY swim up a few inches and his color changes back, but it only lasts a few minutes until hes back on the floor looking ill. He hasn't been eating the last two days and he keeps hanging around the white anemone and rubbing in his tentacles...

I've seen a few other threads where the naso looks similar, but no one posts their specs so there arent any answers. Please help, I really dont want to lose him, he's so cool (and not exactly cheap).

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Is there any otherfihs behaving oddly in your tank?

If possible, can you list your parameters? It would allow people to more understand your tank. How often is he being fed? What type of food? (tangs require a balance of algae and meat) Any copper in the tank? (copper could mess up naso tangs immune system) Where is the fish caught? (fish are caught using cyanide in some areas. Mostly philiphines. Generally, if its from philiphines, don't buy it)

Last edited:

cinnibaby87

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't know where it was caught, the fish store I buy them from doesn't usually have that info. No other fish are behaving oddly, they're all active.

The fish are all fed 2 to 3 times daily with mussel, brine shrimp or fish flakes, there is also a clip in the tank that usually contains cucumber or lettuce. Right now it has lettuce. I read that naso's like it and he was eating it the past few weeks.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate and nitrite: 0

Phosphate: 0

Calcium: 450ppm

Carbinate hardness: 10 (Says should be between 8 and 12)

pH: 8.3

Temp: usually between 79F and 82F

We do use a protein skimmer. The filter is so old you can't buy it anymore so I'm not sure what kind it is exactly, but it sits under the tank and has hoses that go to tubes through the bottom. It works very well.

There is about 65 pounds of live rock in the tank. We had a green star polyp...but the rock brought in some bristle worms we have been unable to catch to so far and pretty much destroyed it.

Other than that there's not much more I could post about it. I'm not sure what kind of lights we have, all I know is they're super bright and on each side there is a white and blue one. There are also moonlights that come on at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom