Important Sick Molly

tessakabraham

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 20 gallon with a gourami, two black mollies, two white mollies, one dalmation molly and one platy. My platy was acting lethargic and refused food for the last couple of days. No other symptoms were visible, except that she seemed thinner, had laboured breathing, reddish gills and her stomach seemed hollowed out. She died yesterday.
Now, one of my white mollies is also following the same route, acting lethargic, staying away from everyone else. She eats, though.
Does anyone have any idea of what is happening to my tank?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
tessakabraham said:
I have a 20 gallon with a gourami, tow black mollies, two white mollies, one dalmation molly and one platy. My platy was acting lethargic and refused food for the last couple of days. No other symptoms were visible, except that she seemed thinner, had laboured breathing, reddish gills and her stomach seemed hollowed out. She died yesterday.
Now, one of my white mollies is also following the same route, acting lethargic, staying away from everyone else. She eats, though.
Does anyone have any idea of what is happening to my tank?
What are your water parameters?

OP
T

tessakabraham

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
What are your water parameters?
Ammonia: 1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
The tank is cycled and has been going for 4 months.
I know the ammonia levels are high, I did a water change this morning.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
tessakabraham said:
Ammonia: 1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
The tank is cycled and has been going for 4 months.
I know the ammonia levels are high, I did a water change this morning.
I'd say it's the ammonia since you said hat the molly had red gills , that's a sign of ammonia poisoning. Ammonia shouldnt go past .25ppm , even .25ppm is high . It should always be at 0ppm . Keep doing water changes till the ammonia is down. Are you using a water conditioner that removes ammonia as well? Only certain ones do

OP
T

tessakabraham

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
I'd say it's the ammonia since you said hat the molly had red gills , that's a sign of ammonia poisoning. Ammonia shouldnt go past .25ppm , even .25ppm is high . It should always be at 0ppm . Keep doing water changes till the ammonia is down. Are you using a water conditioner that removes ammonia as well? Only certain ones do
Thank you for the help, everyone! My molly has decided to go to fish heaven.

New Threads