Help Sick Molly?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a black molly who has been acting really bad the last couple of days. She is always laying on the bottom of the tank, wiggling around, and I think breathing rapidly (Though it's hard for me to tell, I never really paid attention to how she normally breathes) but comes up when someone walks by in hopes of food. She also has very long, stringy feces that are definitely not normal. None of the guppies show the same symptoms. I'm worried about what medicenes to get, since when she got pop eye a few weeks ago I dosed the tank with MelaFix, and within the next three days all my shrimp died. (But the popeye cleared up!) I really want to try as much as I can, I already added aquarium salt to the normal level, but it didn't really help.

Can someone please help? I really don't want to lose her

Last edited:

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been googling around, could this be pregnancy? She is a bit big, but not as squarish as in my avatar pic, which was taken a week or two before she gave birth. I don't remember her acting like this though, so I still suspect disease, however it has been a little over a month since her last drop.

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Anybody? I'm getting kinda desperate, she's been like this for a week...

aylad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Can you post photos?

Treating with Prazipro would be my first recommendation. Tetra Parasite Guard is a stronger mix of meds that may be harder on your fish (potentially) but is a good second option. Since your aquarium profile doesn't list what other fish/invertebrates you have in the tank, I can't comment on whether anything might be harmed by these meds.

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have two guppies and some shrimp in there. My camera is dead right now, but really there's nothing to photograph. She looks normal but is just laying at the tank bottom and is sort of wiggling.

aylad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Prazipro shouldn't hurt your shrimp. I'm less confident about Parasite Guard, but they might be okay. If you end up using TPG, try to move the shrimp into another tank temporarily if you can.

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Urgh, I'm never gonna keep mollies again. They get sick way too easily, none of my other fish have had problems before (except the goldfish with swimbladder, but that cleared up overnight ) I'm going to run out of money if I have to keep getting more meds!

riptide904

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have noticed she appears to be getting thinner. I have a question, should the inside of her gills be white? I can't remember if they always were like that, or if it's new. Does any of this help? There's some fry in a net in there I've tried so hard to keep alive for the last month, and I'd prefer not to lose them now if it spreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom