Sick Molly. Please Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by catherineannaraye, Apr 15, 2017.

1. c

catherineannaraye New Member Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg hi eveyone. Our mamma molly isn't doing so well. Let me start by saying that we started with a ten gallon tank with 2 mollies and 2 glow tetras (all supposedly female) and found out one of the mollies were male. They had 4 babies (which we still have, about 6 months old now) but the daddy molly died suddenly in the ten gallon tank. I figured it was stress and overcrowding, so we upgraded to a 30 gallon tank about 2 months ago. The momma fish started losing her color while in the ten gallon tank, but was otherwise fine. I got better heaters that hold the temp between 78-82. I had the water quality tested at petsmart an I don't know the numbers but they said it was ok. I have plenty of rocks, plants, hiding places. All of the other fish (the 4 young mollies and 2 tetras) are doing great. But momma has lost all her color, her back is looking bent, her gills are turning red and she sits at the bottom of the tank all day. She will swim up for food, but doesn't move much more than that. My husband said we should uthinise her, that she's too far gone. I'm not sure what to do. Help please
    Pictures below:
    1. Pic of big mamma
    2. Pic of tank set up

2. Arades

Arades Valued Member Member

She seems to have a parasite! Maybe someone could chime in and name a specific medicine for her. Hope she gets better!

3. OP
    OP
    c

Thank you, if I don't get any responses, I'll start researching parasites and treatment. Hadn't thought of parasites

4. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

What are the water parameters? Do you have a thermometer, sometimes the preset heaters don't work that well?

Also just a side note, the glow tetras are actually skirt tetras and you should have at least 6 since they are schooling fish :)

5. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I also would ask about the water's readings and temp. Mollies do not like cool water. We keep our live bearer tank at 80 degrees. Red gills can be a sign of ammonia in the water.

Do you have salt in the aquarium? Despite what is said about mollies now being bred for fresh water I can not keep them alive unless there is salt in the water. I use 1 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons of water. Also mollies need vegetation to eat. Are you supplanting their diet with this?

6. OP
    OP
    c

I have 2 thermometers. One sticker one that says 78-82 and the floaty one that looks like it's at 80. It was easing 84 a few days ago so u turned it down a notch thinking it was too hot. And I don't have the water info, but I'm going to grab a test kit this afternoon and test the water.
    And I was hoping to add more tetras, but wasn't sure if 6 tetras and 5 molly was too many fish got a 30gal

I have 2 thermometers. One sticker one that says 78-82 and the floaty one that looks like it's at 80. It was reading 84 a few days ago so u turned it down a notch thinking it was too hot. And I don't have the water info, but I'm going to grab a test kit this afternoon and test the water.
    And I have read about salt, but heard mixed reviews. And with the tetras in the tank, I don't know if it would effect them too?
    And I was not aware of needing vegetation. I use tropical flakes, so it's probably not adiquate. There is natural growing moss on the big rocks and s few of the fake plants, but would those "mossy ball" looking live plants at the pet store be ok?
    We picked the Molly's and tetras because the guy at the pet store said they were easiest for beginners and my son picked them out. I just want big mamma to be ok, we all ready lost the daddy. I'll test the water and get some better food & moss balls and then see about salt after I get the water readings

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

She looks a little bent up. I've had mollies before and seen them have something similar to scoliosis. She's she's in the bottom a lot then it's likely there is a parasite. The options you have are either treat her in a separate tank, treat the tank or put her out of her misery.

Each has it own risk and rewards.

Put her in a separate tank but you'll have to have set it all up and all the fun stuff. She could make it through that or die. The best about having a quarantine tank is that the others will not get sick.

Treating the tank is an option but you'll treat other fish too who don't have the sickness. You wouldn't take a cold medicine if you were not sick right? Some medicines are strong and your fish, or fry, might not be able to handle it. You could risk losing the fry in this process.

Taking her out of her misery is easy. Put her in a cup full of tank water and surround the cup with ice. In about 30 mins to an hour the fish will die. You'll feel bad but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Good luck!

8. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

What type of molly do you have? Some get 4-5 inches!!!

As far as test kits go, get liquid test kits since they are more reliable! I suggest the API Master test kit which is most commonly found at pet stores

9. OP
    OP
    c

Thank you. I'll check the water and see if that's it. If not, maybe treating and other ideas from other members for a few days and then if she doesn't seem bette or gets worse, we'll have to let her go. We kept the other 10 gallon tank itself, but no rocks, heater, filter ect. So that's not an option unless using a small beta tank is suitable?

Honestly, no idea. She's just about an inch longer, have had her almost a year and she's not grown much since we got her. Her babies are almost an inch long now... not fry anymore
    And thank you, I will look for that test kit

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  10. LauraR

LauraR New Member Member

Like mentioned above, when a disease has broken out in my tropics, community tank, I sprinted some aquarium salt into the water and this seemed to have cured all fish. Hope your fish gets better soon :)

11. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

This is what i'd do...I'd do a big water change, get a test kit and test the water, then I'd either do another water change (depending on numbers) and then I'd dose the tank with some prazi pro.

12. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Ice works but I would recommend clove oil.

13. OP
    OP
    c

Here's the results from my water test: they said all looks fine...???
    Bought some aquarium salt. I'll try that. And I bought a fish food for plant eaters... Any other reccomendations?

Attached Files:

14. APierce

The test strips aren't known for being overly accurate. I'd get a liquid test kit. I'd still do a large water change and treat the tank with prazi pro.

15. OP
    OP
    c

image.jpeg She's looking pretty bad. I added the aquarium salt. Followed the direction. 2tbsp for every 5 gal. All the other fish look like they are swimming happy. She is scooting along the bottom of the tank (moving more) but I noticed her back is extremely arched... I caught her in a pic swimming away. Shows her back

16. OP
    OP
    c

Thank you. I will look for this and give it a try

17. APierce

At this point looking at the pics from yesterday vs today. She looks to be loosing color, her spine is arched even more and I don't know what, if anything can be done for her at this point. It may be more humane to just euthanize her.

18. OP
    OP
    c

Thank you. I'll give her till morning and see if there are any signs of hope. If not, we'll have to let her go. Thanks everyone

19. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Tuberculosis is known to bent their spines. But the bent is different.
    Tetra test trips are fine, but dont test for ammonia, API ones are poop.
    I would get her out to a hospital tank if possible. If that is not possible I would do a water change just in case altough the yellow in her stomach worries me, looks as if she was holding liquids.
    I dont like killing fish but you should strongly consider clove oil euthanasia and then also consider opening up the fish to see what happened if this does not get any better (which does not look like it will).

20. OP
    OP
    c

So she's not moved from her hiding spot all night. Doesn't even seem to notice the food when I fed them. Looks like she's struggling to breathe. This evening (after my son goes to sleep and company leaves) I will be putting her down. I could not find clove oil anywhere, so I'll have to go with the ice method. And I'll be doing a water change and treating the tank for any parasites, just in case. Thanks everyone. Big mamma will be missed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice