Sick Molly- please advise

1. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone,
    We have one Molly who frankly I think has the shimmies- thrashes about while staying in place, makes exaggerated movements but doesn't swim anywhere. The other day I noticed some white feces. Our other Molly has normal feces but his fins have turned reddish and will swim around for a bit, then lay on his side on the gravel, leaning next to an ornament. What could be bothering our fish? Recommendations for course of action or medications?

Please note that we do have a scaleless fish- I know some medications can't be used with them in the water.

Our nitrates/nitrites/ammonia levels are all fine. Our pH and hardness is set for the bn pleco we have but we were advised that the mollies, likely being farm raised, would be able to adjust fine to this type of water, plus I'd rather keep the water at the pH and hardness it has coming out of the tap than try to alter it. We've had the mollies for a little over two weeks now.

As a newbie, any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Are you sure your ammonia level is 0. This sounds a lot like ammonia poissoning. Retest your ammonia. Do a massive water change to start and go from there.

3. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Shimmies are normally caused by the fish being kept in too cold of water. This could have been at the LFS or in your tank. Some fish will recover from shimmies once they are properly introduced to warmer water and some don’t. This is one thing I look for when I go out to purchase new Molly stock. If the tanks temperature isn’t in the upper 70s to low 80s I will not buy them.

Now there are other problems that can cause shimmies like stress. The best thing to do hear is test the water and make any corrections needed by doing water changes.