Sick Molly- Bloated Stomach 55 Gallon Tank 

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I noticed my male dalmation molly hanging out at the top of the tank yesterday. But he was still swimming around so I kinda dismissed it. Now his stomach is looking bloated and his scales around his stomach are sticking out. I have no idea what could be wrong.

I tested my water:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 10ppm

I use prime as my water conditioner. I put some stress coat and garlic juice into the water hoping that would help.

He is still eating, but only when the food floats over to him. He is in a 55 Gallon tank, and I haven't seen anyone harassing him. I do have a quarantine tank. Should I put him in there? Are there any meds to help him?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dropsy? Not sure but sounds a bit like it. I would wait for more input.

EDIT: Here's a link, hope it helps:

Dropsy Article

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The scales sticking out makes me think dropsy. Dropsy is a symptom of a number of things, not an illness in and of itself. So the key is to figure out what is causing the dropsy and to be safe, the best thing would be to move him to the QT. You can try feeding him some peas to see if it's constipation and/or try to fast him for a few days to see if he slims down.

-Lisa

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, I already tried to feed him a pea. He didn't go for it, and he usually does. Is dropsy contagious? I read that fish get dropsy when they have bad water conditions. Does this mean he was in bad water before I got him? I've only had him since April and my water conditions have been consistently good.

blkdeath75 said:
Dropsy? Not sure but sounds a bit like it. I would wait for more input.

EDIT: Here's a link, hope it helps:

Dropsy Article
Thank you! So after reading this I'm thinking when I get home I'll move him to QT, and treat the water with epsom salt. Then do a water change on the big one in case anything nasty is remaining from my sick fishie. It speaks of antibiotics. Which ones should I use on him?

I moved him to my 30 gallon QT tank and removed my carbon filter. I used Parasite Clear after reading about many different medicines for internal parasites and bacterial infections. I also added Kent Garlic Extreme and stress coat to the water. I have been reading about Epsom salt but I read that some people do baths and some just add it right to the water. Which should I do?? I read 1/4 teaspoon per gallon either way. Is this right? Any help is appreciated.

I also did a 50% water change in the 55. Is there cause for concern for those fish too? Should I treat their water as well?

For anyone still watching this, he died today. I did an epsom salt bath and treated him with antibiotics to no avail. I am now treating my whole tank because I found one of my molly fry with stringy white poo. Hopefully the rest of them make it.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Pink,

So sorry to read that you lost your fish. To my knowledge Dropsy is not a contagious disease. I don't recommend treating a tank unless you know exactly what the problem is. The fish you're seeing now with stringy poo may be natural. It's hard to say for certain though.

I'm merging your 4 back to back posts for you.

Best wishes for your fish.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads