Sick Mollies?

1. Yohe Initiate Member

Hello all,

One of my mollies is constantly lying on my filter/heater and not activly looking for food and just doing nothing.

I've tried chasing her away, but she keeps coming back anyway. My other molly seem to have a slightly coloured fin and I'm not sure what to do. Could this be a disease?

I've recently upgraded my 30L tank to a 70L tank and my other fish seem to be just fine now.

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Does she have a large stomach. If so then she is about to give birth.

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Do you know what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are?
    What is the full stocking?
    Did you cycle the new tank before adding fish?
    Does she have trouble swimming?
    Could you post a picture of the molly with the odd fin?

4. Sassonic Initiate Member

It might not be the water quality, but the lack of swimming space. I didn't have much success keeping Mollies in a 20G tank (that's about the size of 70L), IMO they stay healthier if they have more space. My mollies did much better in my 65 gallon. In a 70L tank I would stick to Endlers, Guppies, and Neon Tetra they will be happy.

And I hate to give bad news but when a Molly is sick, it usually won't recover. I've had hospital tanks and the fish that had nipped fins or bite marks from other fish have usually recovered in about three weeks with a little salt and melafix. But fish that "act" sick have never recovered for me :( but I hope you have better luck.

5. Yohe Initiate Member

Thanks for the help guys!

The problem is 'solved'. I ended up calling 3 fish stores and they all too told me that my molly most likely won't recover and that it'd be better to end the suffering. So that's what I did. The fish shop where I purchased her offered me to come get a free new one since I've called before for this fish.