Sick Mollies

1. K

KristineJoh New Member Member

Hello, This is my first post on this site and I'm hoping to get some help.
    I have a Dalmatian molly, have had her for about 8 months in a 10 gallon tank with a Betta, 3 other mollies and 3 snails. About 4 months ago 1 molly died of dropsy. About a month ago my Dalmatian had fungus on her left side. I treated the tank for fungus and it cleared right up!
    However... a couple days ago my males started acting overly aggressive and I had to add more females to settle them down. One of the new females died within 24 hours. I checked my levels with a dip stick and they were fine. Then the following day another one of my original male mollies died.

Now my Betta is not swimming and staying at the bottom of the tank and the Dalmation that had the fungus infection has a few scales lifted in the same area as the infection was and the gills aren't working on that side. Her color has also changed and she is constantly showing me the sore.

There is no redness to the gills, no white spots, no cotton areas. I have googled my heart out on this but haven't seen anything similar and not sure if all of my fish are connected. I'm running a Tetra Life Gaurd cycle right now.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. n

neongirl Valued Member Member

I would move the mollies to their own bigger tank and leave the betta by himself in the 10 gallon. Do you have a liquid test kit? Those seem to be more accurate than the test strips. Do you have any ammonia in the tank? I would probably start with testing and a big water change

Also did you quarantine the female mollies before you put them in your tank? They could have brought something into your tank that you weren't aware of.

3. OP
    OP
    K

I did about 50% water change a week ago when 1 of fish died.

That's one of the reasons I'm doing the life guard now as well. I've only had Bettas before, and never realized a need for quarantine and didn't even have a spare tank until one of my males went hyper aggressive and I needed one now.

Update on the Dalmatian: she is having trouble floating upright or she almost looks like she's dancing (twirling), and I've found her stuck under plant leaves. I don't imagine she will live much longer.

She died. I checked her body and I couldn't see the deformity on her side that I noticed in the water, and couldn't see a reason for her gill not to open. Who would have thought you could get so emotional over a group of $5 fish?

Now to keep my eye on the Betta and continue lifeguard I suppose.

4. n

I'm so sorry :( I totally understand what you mean though, I was so upset when my black molly died last year, he was such a happy fish and always made my day :')

5. OP
    OP
    K

Thank you. :) I'm going to do a water change this afternoon because I can't have the filter in the waterfall while the tank is on life guard.

6. OP
    OP
    K

Hi @neongirl , my fish seem much happier today. I did a 50% water change and vacuumed the gravel and turned up the temperature a couple degrees. But today I found a single dead fry in the gravel. I've been keeping a close eye on the tank and the fish every day and haven't seen any fry or any of the females giving birth, just this one dead one. Any ideas or know anyone in the forums I can turn to? I haven't had to deal with frys since I've started with mollies.

7. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have a breeder net you can hang on the inside of the tank? If you do get more fry it will keep them save.

8. n

9. OP
    OP
    K

No, because I have literally never seen a baby molly until tonight and I have no idea which female it was from. If I have a breeder net would a pregnant molly know it's a safe place?

10. Dave125g

You don't put the molly in the net that will stress her out too much. When you find fry put them in the net to keep them safe.

11. OP
    OP
    K

I got home today and found 5 live fry. Is it possible the one yesterday was a "premature" birth? They are in a net until i am able to get a breeder net. I still have no idea which one gave birth.
    My tank sure has been to and back this week.
    On last question @Dave 75g and @neongirl !
    Because of the mystery illness my tank has been on life guard for the past 4 days, the 4th dose was added to the tank at approximately 345pm this evening and live fry were found in the tank at 945 this evening. Do I continue with the final dose of life guard tomorrow as scheduled, or would it be detrimental to the fry? Is it more detrimental to the tank not to finish a course of treatment?

Thank you again so much for your advice. I've had single male bettas for years, but this is the first time I've tried anything larger. Everything was going swimmingly until a week ago!

12. Dave125g

Do you have a fish bowl to temporarily house the fry until treatment is finished? The fry death could have been from prematurely

13. OP
    OP
    K

I do have another small tank, but I haven't moved them yet because I was worried the difference in the tanks would be more of a shock than staying in the tank where they were born. The one they were born in is heated and the other is not, although the temperature difference isn't too great.

14. OP
    OP
    K

Update: All 6 fry are still alive.

But. My Betta has died, he became grey and his gills came basically out of his body.
    Also I went away for two days and another molly died.

In just over two? weeks I lost all of my original tank and left with 3 of 5 of the new batch. And the 6 new fry are still alive.

I've done multiple water changes, vacuumed the gravel, boiled and scrubbed the ornaments, and did a course of lifeguard. Two or three fish had died after the lifeguard.

15. Dave125g

Sorry to hear about your losses ,but I'm glad the fry are doing well.