Sick minnow?

loilars
Member
I have six WCMMs and two goldfish who have lived fairly harmoniously since the beginning of March in a forty gallon breeder tank. The tank is cycled, I perform regular water changes and the levels have been consistently good . One of the minnows is now, what looks like, gasping at the surface of the water and, as described in some of my research, his mouth and gills are pink/red. As expected it seems this fish is sick and possibly having issues with ammonia. I have not had ammonia problems in some time but we were away for four days and I think our caretaker may have fed them too much as the reading this morning was at least 1-2pm. I changed about eight-nine gallons of water (I usually do 10% or four gallons) and treated with Prime and Stability as per usual.

My questions - is there any hope of saving this guy or is he likely a goner? Am I wrong in my diagnosis? What other steps can I take? I am limited as to things available to me treatment-wise beyond what I already did but I can try depending on the suggests I get.

Many thanks.
 
Doig
Member
I think the only suggestion I can give is provide clean stable water quality for it. If it is caused by ammonia then the fishes gills are frayed and damaged. There is no medicine that can bring that back. Did it make it through?
 
  • Thread Starter
loilars
Member
I appreciate the response. Yes, the minnow is alive! After the first water change there was an immediate difference. Then the following night ammonia spiked a little and he was doing the same thing (I think it was the same one, it's hard to tell them apart). Did another water change yesterday morning and all has been right as rain since. Thank you!
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom