Sick maybe constipated betta? Help please!!! - Page 2

OP
R

rip_van_winkle

Reaction score
HELP!!!!
He was curled around the filter intake tub until I turned it off. I thought he was dead! Then I poked him gently with a turkey baster that I use for left-over food, and he moved. He really scared me. Only, now he seems like he barley has the strenght to come to the surface, and when he does he just slowly sinks down onto the gravel. :'( :'( :'( :'( I don't think he is going to last much longer even though I started medicating him. What did I do wrong? Is there anything I can do to help him now?
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok, he needs some help to get better. he does sound weak and needs to be closer to the surface. do you have a smaller "hospital tank" that he could rest in and not have so far to swim (plus not have to fight the filter). if not then if you can adjust your filter, you might want to lower it. also if you have one of those breeder boxes they sell at the petstores made of netting that can be hooked to the side near the top, that would help him have less distance to go up for air. Right now, it's up to the meds to work on his illness, you can try to make him more comfortable or make it easier on him to get air & rest. You're doing your best, unfortunately fish get sick like we do - seemingly random to a degree.

I'm afraid to say that i'm still leaning towards him having septicemia. how many of these symptoms does he have?
Sluggishness, lack of appetite, fin damage, reddish discoloration, bulging eyes, clamped fins.
(If he has all of them, then get him the gel-tek med recommended earlier. Petco/Petsmart should have some in the fish meds section. If he doesn't have those symptoms, then just keep treating with his meds and we pray he pulls thru.)

OP
R

rip_van_winkle

Reaction score
I have a plastic breader box, and a 3 1/2 gallon non-heater or filtered bowl that he was in before. The plastic breader box is about 5in. long and 4in. high. I can take out all the little traps and its just a box that can be stuck to the side of the tank. I think I will stick him in there with a java fern plant that was floating around. He's looking better this morning though, but I will still put him in the breader box.
Thank you everybody

OP
R

rip_van_winkle

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help, but unforchangatly it didn't hlep. Rip died sometime last night.
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Hannah

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Rip passed away.  From your descriptions it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong.  Thoughts and prayers to you and Rip.

Mike

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about Rip. I'm wondering now if maybe he had Dropsy. Were his fins pineconing at all? The reason it made me think that was because pop eye is another indication of dropsy. You did eveything you could for him. Natalie

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
So sorry for the loss of your betta. Struggling to save the little guys when they are not well can break your heart. I am sure you did everything you could for Rip. He was lucky to have you.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
:'( :'( awww.. i'm really sorry to hear that Rip passed on last night. You did your best for him and gave him the best comfort a betta could have while dealing with illness. our best to you.

New Threads