5 Gallon Tank Sick little endler

Katoo

Hey all! I've searched the forum's but I can't quite determine what might be wrong with my endler (and possibly all the fish in the tank?)

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5g
How long has the tank been running? Since last april
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) - 5 endlers, 2 nitrite snails, about 10 cherry shrimp. Fully planted.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? At least once a week but since this problem started about every 2 days for the last week
How much of the water do you change? 20-40%
What do you use to treat your water? Peter's aqua-pro step 1, 2 and 3, along with tank buster
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes.
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20ppm
pH: I ran out of that test, but my water is on the harder side.

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day, just a little.
How much do you feed your fish? What they can eat in a few minutes.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Hikari live bearer pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About a week ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? One fish with clamped fins, grey colour, breathing heavily. Some of the others twitching.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Just a tablespoon of aquarium salt.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? It hasn't gotten better, but it hasn't become worse either.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I've had a well established little 5g. Purchased the endlers, 3 about a month ago and the other 2 about two weeks ago. One of the ones I bought more recently started showing clamped fins, grey colour, and less movement a few days after I got him. He still eats a little and moves around the tank, but not nearly as sprightely as the others. I don't see any redness around his gills or spots. Now I am noticing (been watching them a lot) that the other endlers are also twitching a bit, like, spasming so they are curled left or right and then darting... Not sure if that's normal since I'm new to endlers! Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm just getting back into fish keeping after a couple years off so I don't have a quarentine tank right now. Thanks all!

chrislim

Hey there!

I've only been keeping Endlers for about 1 year, but I think the spasming thing you mentioned is totally normal. I keep both male and female endlers in my tank, and the males normally do the spasm thing to attract females. I have a separate endler tank with just males in them and they still do the spasm thing to each other, probably to assert dominance or something. Funnily enough, my profile picture is of my male endler spasming to attract a female endler!

tl;dr, it's normal endler behaviour, nothing to worry about.

Latest threads

Top Bottom