Sick Little Dude? Help!

Marxoxoshizzle

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OKAY. So, let me start out by saying that I had a Betta for several years at my office. He was not well taken care of by my ex-coworker. She left him to me when she got a new job and I had to deal with the damage. I presume that betta got sick with TB somehow, as his spine was crooked and he wasn't using his tail to swim at all. After lots of months of battling with many different treatments and water changes he finally passed after 3-4 years. That was this year January/February.

I knew I was going to get another Betta, so I cleaned the tank with soap and water. Rinsed it, let it dry for about a week. I bought another Betta.

He was small, so I knew he was young. He is friendly, rambunctious, always comes up to greet me, doesn't seem afraid of me. We have a good little bond. Last Thursday I noticed something was off...

He was acting lethargic, didn't really correct his position if his body turns itself kind of sidways/diagonal in the water. I thought maybe I didn't cut his food up enough to release air bubbles which I always always do, and so I thought maybe he was constipated. I decided not to feed him Friday, and I am off Sat/Sun. I was out of work Monday and Tuesday due to the Eclipse. I came in today, Wednesday, and there were 2 food pellets on the bottom of the tank. I presume my co worker attempted to feed him, but he did not eat it.

Today his behavior is a little worse than it was last week. Again, he is lethargic, he tried to eat, but spit out his food. Even the Daphnia that I tried to entice him with, he spit out. His tummy is very flat, his scales look normal, color is good, no fin rot from what I can see. No fungus. He is still swimming a little oddly or seems very weak.

His tank params are perfect. I checked this morning. Ammonia was at 0, temp is 78, nitrites/nitrates are good, PH was a little high so I corrected it with a splash of baking soda, however I have been told/read that Bettas do okay in high PH's. The baking soda helped the acidity become neutral, too.

So I am a little confused. I dosed the tank with some aquarium salt after sucking up some garbage on the floor (my charcoal filter leaks black dust everywhere), and added a quarter tablet of the Jungle All in One Fungus Cure stuff that treats a wide range of things. The fizzy tablets that turn everything blue/green.

Can anyone give me any insight?? I am not sure what to do. He is a young little guy and was doing so well, and after the disaster with the last one I knew exactly what I needed to do to keep this guy healthy/tank good.

Is it possible that the TB bacteria was somehow still living in the tubing/filter cabin?? And he may have gotten contaminated?? I didn't think that was possible since everything was dry for a week. I could really use any insight. I don't wanna lose this little guy. My last one was such a grump, but this dude is so sweet. Right now he is feverishly swimming towards the aerator, sucking up bubbles. He's acting like he can't breathe, but the tank is aerated, so I am not sure what is going on.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

Sorry to hear about your guy.

What were the exact numbers for nitrite, nitrate and Ph?
Could you post a picture of him?
How long have you had him?

Don't worry about changing the Ph. Trying to change it does much more harm than good. He can adapt as long as it remains stable

OP
Marxoxoshizzle

Marxoxoshizzle

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BottomDweller said:
Welcome to fishlore!

Don't worry about changing the Ph. Trying to change it does much more harm than good. He can adapt as long as it remains stable

The numbers were all at 0. As in, using a test strip both nitrites and nitrates boxes were white. I suck whatever stuff out I notice, daily with a turkey baster. So there is never any junk in there to dirty up the water. I use Prime and Stability by SeaChem when I do little water changes. I have had him since February. Photo is attached. It's the best I could do.

BottomDweller said:
Welcome to fishlore!

He finally moved so I was able to get a better photo.

Attachments

OP
Marxoxoshizzle

Marxoxoshizzle

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's the next morning now, he's in the same condition, however, I am noticing that he is floating to the top of the water like a little balloon. Anytime he makes a dash for the bottom, if he lets himself go, he'll float right back up to the top. Could this be SBD? his spine still looks twisted but idk if that's the SBD talking.

New Threads