Sick java fern

Lucy_kk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Have recently noticed every single leaf of my java fern has gone splotchy brown. It has spead quite rapidly it used to be really bright green and healthy and i only pruned off dead or dying leaves as i like my tanks well planted. I dont know if it dying since i changed my substrate to sand or somthing? I dont use any plant fertilier as i believe the fish do that for me.

Can anyone identify with this? Any advice much appreciated, all fish are fine and i am unwilling to remove it as it is such a large feature in the tank which the fish love. ESp Chandler- it is where he sleeps and hangs out!

Thanks Lucy
??? ???

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you had this Java Fern in substrate, and changed that substrate, the change could be the reason for the plant deterioration. Maybe the plant had a lot of nutrients in the substrate, and as you removed the substrate, you also removed the nutrients. BUT, normally Java Ferns like to grow on surfaces like rocks and driftwood - so maybe the plant is dying because it's not growing on a surface? Just a thought. In any case, don't throw away the plant's main root. It may grow new leaves even as the old leaves wither away and die.

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Java Ferns don't like change. As long as you get it re-attached to something (they usually don't do well if the "root" at the bottom is buried), it will fully recover in a few weeks.

Lucy_kk

Valued Member
Reaction score
I trimmed off all dead leaves and removed them but i have kept the main bulk of the roots as they have some healthy little leaves growing out of them. Looks a bit sparse but hopefully it will recover.
Thanks for advice!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom