Sick/injured Rainbowfish! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by LeahsTank, May 22, 2019.

1. LeahsTank

LeahsTankValued MemberMember

I noticed this last night just before lights out and didn’t get a chance to check out the other fish before the lights went out. But this fish appears to be loosing color in the lower front part of his body.

When checking on them this morning I think one of my Boseman rainbows may be having the same issue, but it is hard to tell for sure.

Has anyone had this issue before, and what was the outcome?

Quick rundown of the environment:

55 gallon peaceful community tank. Mostly rainbows with a small school of neon tetras and a few (leftover school) of rummynose tetras. I never see any fighting except the usual males sparing and showing off for the ladies.

Heavily planted

Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 15, Ph 6.8

50% water changes 1-2 times a week depending on the nitrate level.

No additions to the tank for 3 months.

Any answers are appreciated.
    IMG_1171.JPG

2. SeanyBaggs123

SeanyBaggs123Well Known MemberMember

You're probably not going to like my answer as it falls in the "everything's fine category"....

But both my turquoise and Boesemani change and fade colors just like that at different times of the day. Looks normal to me. I keep mine in a 60 gallon tank with similar parameters.

3. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

Are you looking at this area? Mine change colors all the time too, but I’ve never seen this and I’ve had these guys for more than a year. And I stare at these guys for long periods every day. They are more entertaining than the tv.
    IMG_1171.JPG

4. SeanyBaggs123

Precicesly the area I'm looking at.
    Have had my bows for almost a year as well.
    I'll dig around in Adrian Tappan's book for an explanation, but I feel I've read something there that justifies this change.

But Yeah, my Male Boesemani do the same thing

Edit: However, they always change back to normal coloring. I would be concerned if the Turquoise stayed that color.

5. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

Ok. Great! “Everything is fine” is exactly the answer I want to hear.

But I would be interested in the cause.

Thanks.

6. SeanyBaggs123

Pages 112 - 114 in "Rainbowfishes Their care & keeping in captivity" should provide some explanation.

I can't remember where, but it was a free download.

swiss tropicals website maybe?

7. Seasoldier

SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

Hi, it's belly looks a bit shrunken, is it eating OK?

8. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

Yes, I have that myself but hadn’t read it through. :) Yep, I downloaded it for the pictures!

Thanks, I will pull that up and read it.

9. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

Yes. He eats good. I rescued this “special” little guy from Petco along with 2 others. All three have some kind of weird deformity(?) but act fine.

10. SeanyBaggs123

The section right before coloration in that book is "deformities". I would read through that too. Could be related. The pictures show turquoise bows in the deformity section quite a bit as well.

11. SeanyBaggs123

As it so happened, my Boesemanis were showing similar coloring last night before I did a water changed. Grabbed the best shots I could. Seems like the coloring is in the same spot as on your turquoise.

Attached Files:

12. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

Those look normal to me. My turquoise is not normal. He isn’t just simply changing colors, his color is gone.

As luck would have it, my cat had a vet appointment yesterday. I showed him the photo to see if he knew anything about tropical fish. He said he knew very little, but when he saw the fish, he “oh yeah. That is nothing to worry about.” Then said it is basically an autoimmune disorder where the fish’s immune system is attacking its color cells(?). Other than the loss of color, it wasn’t harmful.

Either way, I’m hoping both of you are right. This particular fish has the most vibrant colors of all of my rainbows, including the boesmani’s.

13. SeanyBaggs123

That's precisely what I mean though. The coloration beneath the gills and on the front side of the body/belly (especially in the first picture) is the loss of color. I have no explanation for why it happens. Adrian Tappan in that same book though, does talk about how they lose a lot of their color in captivity. There are dietary countermeasures you can take to supplement whatever chemical/nutrient/ion makes up the flashy color, but it sounds to me like he's just deficient, or becoming deficient, as he grows or at different times of the day. The boesemani does not look like that all the time.

If he's acting normal.... I wouldn't worry about his overall health personally...

14. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

Yeah. Was reading the dietary portion of the book last night. And I’m thinking of getting some duckweed for them. But the thought of that taking over the tank frightens me. Do you have duckweed?

15. SeanyBaggs123

I have duckweed in both my tanks, and it hasn't taken over.

I also have no issue taking a handful and throwing it in the trash if it ever came to that either haha.

My biggest struggle (with floating plants in general) is keeping them from being submerged and decaying, or getting pushed under/damaged by the HOB in between top offs (No lids on my tank)

Considering getting rid of them all together for those reasons.

16. OP
    OP
    LeahsTank

That’s my worry. I have a canister filter, but I have the spray bar pointed up at the surface for oxygenation, so I’m afraid it will be blowing all over the tank. I may try it. According to the book, it is good for their color. My pearl gourami will probably like it too. She constantly grazes on anything in the tanks.

17. SeanyBaggs123

I have a corral (air tubing super glued together with a bendy straw) around my filter outlet, but I don't keep a lid on that tank. If I don't top off daily, or every other day at minimum, some slips through and I have a mess in and on top of the water. Not for me I decided. Love the benefits floating plants provide... not worth the hassle for me.