Sick/injured molly !!!

bmackw

Reaction score
I have two 4-month[?] old mollies (m and f) in my 20 gallon tank, and the male doesn't seem to be doing so well. He can't swim for more than a second or two, and so he's mainly laying on the gravel. I can't get a good enough look at him to see what's wrong.. I know my dwarf kissing gouramI has been picking on him surprisingly enough. Something could've happened while I wasn't looking. I just need some ideas of what it could be, or support if all else fails. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459831293.870305.jpg

excuse my tetras in the picture :)

update... I have noticed his gills stopped moving. I'm guessing this is it.

OP
B

bmackw

Reaction score
qchris87 I'm getting a 95 g set up where I'm going to move at least the regular one, maybe the dwarf along with a few new fish. Good to focus on the future, it's the best way to get over the past

qchris87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's just odd that it happened in the span of 10 minutes. It does sound very possible that the gouramI attacked him to the point of succumbing to death. They are a semI aggressive species and I had one years ago that had killed a few of it's tank mates. When he gets bigger he may eat his other tank mates.

OP
B

bmackw

Reaction score
qchris87 I never knew that, most things that I read had them listed as peaceful. Thank you though! Now I know a little better.

qchris87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wait a second, I just reread your first post, and noticed it said dwarf kissing gourami. Now I'm not too sure what that is. Do you have a pic of it?

OP
B

bmackw

Reaction score
qchris87 I can take a picture for size comparison when I get home. He's pretty much exactly the same as a normal pink kissing gourami, but he is slightly less pink and much smaller. He's around 2 inches, while the other one is maybe at 4 now.

qchris87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sounds good! I tried looking it up but all I found were balloon kissing gouramis. Idk if those were real lol but they should really stop messing with fishes appearance. They're quite beautiful in their natural form. Too many fish being ballooned now a days.

OP
B

bmackw

Reaction score
@ It's true, I don't like when we try to mutate fish or any animal for that matter, just for our own enjoyment.

Another update.. not sure if he's still alive or someone is trying to eat him. He's moved overnight.

qchris87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should make sure if he is or not and remove him if he is dead. If he's not, it's probably best to euthanize him with clove oil. Otherwise there could be an ammonia spike.

OP
B

bmackw

Reaction score
qchris87 just took him out. he was very peaceful, i'm really not sure why any of them would try to hurt him, even after he was dead. I'll send that picture soon.

qchris87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Instinct, most likely. Then food when it's dead. Sometimes weaker fish are picked on by other fish.

OP
B

bmackw

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1459917792.894261.jpg
qchris87 I need to vacuum my gravel before I go to bed and the angle's not the best, but hopefully you can see the size difference.

qchris87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, I can see the difference. I believe they're still juveniles.

OP
B

bmackw

Reaction score
TexasDomer here are the gouramis. and qchris87 they are pretty young, but there must be a major maturity gap if age is the only factor for this size difference.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Both look like kissing gouramis to me. What are the dimensions of your 95 gal?

OP
B

bmackw

Reaction score
TexasDomer 48" x 22" x 18" (l,w,h in case the order is incorrect lol)

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Your tank is a little short for one, and definitely two, so I'd rehome at least one of them.

OP
B

bmackw

Reaction score
TexasDomer I keep hearing that I should, if only someone would be willing to actually come into my house and do it for me!! lol it's too tall for me on the stand and I can't even get the gravel out, let alone with the very little free time I have. I need like, a giant kitty litter scoop lol.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bmackw said:
@TexasDomer I keep hearing that I should, if only someone would be willing to actually come into my house and do it for me!! lol it's too tall for me on the stand and I can't even get the gravel out, let alone with the very little free time I have. I need like, a giant kitty litter scoop lol.
You'll need to figure out some way to get them out. They do make larger nets. I have a large one and a small one that I use together to catch fish.