Sick/Hurt Platy

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a platy (one just like the one in my picture) who this morning started acting really bad. Poopy (his name) seems really boyant and isn't using one of his fins as much as the other one. It takes a lot of energy for him to swim downwards. I also noticed that he seems to be bent in the middle. I went to class and came back and he was stuck to the filter. :'( I have just taken him out and placed him in a bowl of his own using water from the tank. I figure we just have to wait and see... but are there any suggestions?

Side note: 4 days ago I added the 2 Balloon Molly's to the tank. They don't seem aggressive but maybe one of them attacked Poopy??

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It could be a swim bladder problem......There is some remedy that you can try using a frozen pea with teh skin removed. I don't know all of the particulars, but others here do....Perhaps they can give you more information.

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
hmm. I just looked it up, swim bladder disease... That sounds like it could be a possibility. The website said to feed peas... Are we talking fresh? And do I take the skin off?

Also... if this is the case... does anyone else find it funny that my fish named Poopy has swim bladder disease??

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
As mentioned previously, most of what I read on here is to use a frozen pea, thawed with the skin removed. Not sure if you need to cut it up or not. Hopefully someone can clarify for you.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea, that sounds like swim bladder disorder for a platy. The frozen peas are what I use, but I think a fresh one would work. Just thaw (or heat if fresh) it for 40 seconds in the microwave. It should be a little soft but not mushy. Then you peel the skin off and cut it into little pieces for your platy to eat and hopefully he'll be living up to his name shortly. and swimming normal.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for helping to clarify.

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Since you think it is swim bladder.... I read somewhere to stop feeding him for a few days. Should I try the pea thing before or after not feeding him? or should I not do that at all. haha man. These fish.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd try the pea before a fast and see how he reacts to the treatment.

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thanks! I'll let everyone know how it's going!

Amnagrla

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
:'( I went out last night to get the peas and this morning I woke up and Poopy didn't make it. Thanks for the help though!

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. That's too bad.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm sorry to hear that poppy didn't make it. Flo's going to need company soon now that she's the only platy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom