Sick/Handicapped Beta? (Has Lived 9 months like this)

FrankieAnthony

I repost this on forums every few months to get more opinions and nobody’s come up with anything too helpful yet.

To briefly summarize:
The SBD like swimming and bent spine started around 3 months or so after getting the betta. It’s had a slow impact ever since (now I’ve had him a year, so this is 9 months he’s lived this way) I’ve tried change of diet/fasting and every treatment under the sun like salt baths and almond leaves but this seems to finally be progressing. It’s always a bit worse after he eats. But I barely fed a few teeny small bug bites and he looks half bloated/half-starved like in the photos and this VIDEO.

At this point I don’t think it’s anything i can “cure” but any advice on what this could be or what caused it based on above/below descriptions or any way to make him more comfortable is appreciated.

I can elaborate more if you want more info.

Tank/Feeding/Parameters:
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 G Long- Divided Betta Tank (5 g each side)

How long has the tank been running?6 months

Does it have a filter? Yes (sponge on sick betta side, HOB on other side)

Does it have a heater? Yes

What is the water temperature? 80F

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 2 male bettas

Parameters -
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes

What do you use to test the water? API Master

What are your parameters?

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5-10

pH: 6.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1x a day on average

How much do you feed your fish? a couple pellets

What brand of food do you feed your fish? Mini Bug Bites and Aqueon Pro micropellets

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?

Once in awhile I have frozen bloodworms I give as a treat.
You must be registered to see images

BigManAquatics

Doesn't seem like an uncommon handicap. Really all you can probably do is euthanize or make him as comfy as possible, like maybe lower water levels so he can get to the top for air easier, lots of places to lay, especially near the surface, stuff like that.

ForBettaorForWorse

From the pics it looks a bit like what one of my bettas had. I put a betta leaf thing up so she could rest on her way up from air. She lived a pretty normal life, and was one of my favorite bettas.

FrankieAnthony

Any advice on diet tips that could help w chronic constipation/bloat? I have what I feed in description. Live food is hard for me to get in my area but i could order online if worth it and doesn’t break the bank ).

I feel like I barely feed him as it is now bc he likes to eat but would prob be literally dragging on the floor sideways if he ate a “normal” size meal like I give to my other betta. But “underfeeding” doesn’t seem to be the best for overall health either.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Erin17765
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views