Sick guppysurg

1. BellatheBetta

BellatheBetta Valued Member Member

My guppy hasn't been looking so good for the past two days. He is always hanging around at the surface and isn't so active anymore. He also has a clamped tail fin and dorsal fin. Tank params are Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-about 10ppm. The tank is 6.5 UK gallons and the only other fish inside is another male guppy who is perfectly fine. Anybody have any idea what is wrong with him and how to treat? Thanks.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What's the temp of the tank? Do you know your KH and GH? Can you post a photo?

3. OP
    OP
    BellatheBetta

No idea about GH and KH. Tank is currently a steady 26oC. About to attach photo now.

4. el337

Would be a good idea to get a test kit to measure those or have your LFS test them for you. Guppies prefer harder water. Not sure if that is the reason but definitely not a bad idea to rule that out.

5. OP
    OP
    BellatheBetta

ok. he really isnt looking too well so think it may be more then just water hardness issue. [​IMG]

6. el337

If the GH is low enough, it can certainly affect their health negatively.

7. OP
    OP
    BellatheBetta

ok. from looking at the picture, does it give you any ideas?

8. el337

I really can't tell. Maybe someone else may know. Is he eating? How long have you had him?

9. OP
    OP
    BellatheBetta

Ate this morning but I think he has now stopped. I got him about 4 months ago.

10. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have the pH at least?

11. OP
    OP
    BellatheBetta

Yes I do. From a reading this morning, my pH is about 7.5/8. Unfortunatly my guppy passed away last night but I still want to figure out the problem to avoid anymore problems.

12. Aquaphobia

Did you notice any changes to his poops?

13. OP
    OP
    BellatheBetta

nope poop looked normal as far as i saw although about 3 days before he dies he had white stringy poopso treated for internal paracites but he never got better.

14. Aquaphobia

Did you treat the whole tank for parasites or only that one fish? If his poops were normal until the last 3 days it could be that your other fish are infected and just not showing signs until it's too late.

15. OP
    OP
    BellatheBetta

yes whole tank were treated and still are although using a weaker dose.