Sick Guppy

promisedsin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm posting this for my brother.

He currently has a 10 gallon tank set up with
(1) female guppy (currently sick or wounded?)
(10) female baby guppies
(1) clown loach
(3) cory cats
(2) honey sunset gourami
(30) or so red cherry shrimp

He was going to be moving the loach, gourami, & cories to his new tank but noticed that his female guppy had white spots on her that didn't resemble ich. He had the water tested and all level were in check except that water was a little hard, so he treated the tank for fungus hoping that it wouldn't spread. The spot disappeared before the end of the treatment but he did the full treatment. He went on vacation and I baby sat his fish and the 2nd day in I noticed that the spots were back. I had to way of getting a hold of him and didn't know what he treated them with and decided to wait until he returned home the next day.

That was on wednesday June 30th. She was acting normal until this morning. He woke up to her laying on the bottom of the tank with the shrimp all over her. He removed her and noticed that she was still breathing. The largest white spot turned into a wound. He had his water tested and the readings were the same as when the spot first appeared.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause this and if it could infect the entire tank and what to treat it with?

79.jpg

Asialyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It seems like his tank might be overstocked, so the stress could have made her ill, but I'm no expert so you should wait and hear what others have to say. I hope she gets better!

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I can't really tell what the spot is because its an open wound now from the shrimp and other fish picking at her.

The tank is definitely overstocked and I would imagine that would cause stress and allow infections to set in.

The 10 guppy babys are too much for the 10 gallon long term.

I am sure more people will stop in and give more information

promisedsin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He knows its over stocked and he was using it to keep the female guppys away from the male guppys until he could give the babies to our lfs. He was going to move the loach, gourami, & cory cats to his other tank the day he came back but he wanted to wait until he found out what it was that was infecting his fish.

promisedsin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My brother went to our LFS and showed the owner the pictures he took of his guppy and the owner said that it was a parasite and my brother is going to treat the tank with general cure. He also said that when the guppy was swimming around that is how bad the hole was.

Does anyone have any advice on anything else to treat the tank with?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads