Sick guppy Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Tuiflies, Mar 30, 2010.

1. TuifliesNew MemberMember

I'm not sure what the problem is but one (and possibly two) of my guppies are sick. I have 7 females in a 29G moderately planted tank with two sailfins, 10 neons, a RTBS and a bunch of RCS. About two weeks ago one of the female guppies started having trouble staying horizontal when she stopped swimming. Her tail would start to drop as she slowed down and she'd slowly end up pointing straight up, until she started swimming again. It looks like another guppy is starting to show the same signs. I tried a salt bath in a QT but there doesn't seem to be any improvement. Her gills looked red and a bit inflamed but they're back to normal now. Oh, and she doesn't seem to be eating much now either.

My stats are 25C/77F, PH 6.8-7.0, GH 250 ppm, KH 180 ppm, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates all 0. The tank's been running since the end of November, last year.

Anyone have an idea what's wrong or what I should do? Everything else looks very healthy.

2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the site. The stress of having the shark in the tank could be part of it...

3. OP
    OP
    T

TuifliesNew MemberMember

No one seems to be stressed but I can't say for sure that I'd recognize a stressed guppy if I saw one. Everyone eats well when I feed them (usually once a day but I skip a day or two every week).

4. bassbonediva

bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

It doesn't sound like your tank is cycled if your nitrates are 0. Proper, healthy water parameters are generally 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10-20 nitrates. The presence of nitrates indicates the presence of the good bacteria which keeps ammonia and nitrites under control.

The cycling issue aside, it sounds like your girl is suffering from a swim bladder problem. Try feeding her part of a shelled pea and see if that helps her. I would quarantine her, fast her for a day or two, then feed her broken up pieces of a shelled pea. That's helped my betta kids in the past.

The inflamed gills sounds like ammonia poisoning, either that or too much salt in the water. I would QT her and any others that are showing signs of the same illness and try the peas.

5. OP
    OP
    T

TuifliesNew MemberMember

The tank is deffinately cycled. It's been running for over four months. There's no nitrates because the plants use them faster than they build up. Sometimes they go up to ~5 or 10 after I trim the plants.

There's no ammonia, and no other fish had red gills so I doubt it's ammonia poisoning. Also, the salt bath seems to have fixed the red gills so I don't think it was too much salt. :;dk

I'll try the shelled peas. Thanks. :;hf

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice