Sick guppy? Help

1. keepergirl Initiate Member

I have 4 guppies in a 4 gallon BiOrb. My one guppy doesn't move much anymore. It just sits down at the bottom of the tank or on top of a plant. I was told that I chose all males and that there were no females so I don't think it is pregnant. I haven't seen it eat recently either. It swims every now and then but when it does it looks like it takes a lot of effort to move. I don't know what to do!

2. click Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Sorry is under such circumstances...

Can you give us more info? Is there anything visible on the outside like spots, grains, sores etc? Does it look bloated? Are the fins, eyes, gils looking fine? Can you post a pic of him? Is very hard to tell what's wrong from what you described, it can be anything...

Edit: just noticed you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. Are you using any water detoxifiers or testers? You know what your levels of ammonia, nitrite or nitrate are? Are you dechlorinating your water when you do water changes?

Sorry I ask so many questions but it would help us determine what's wrong with your guppy and maybe save his life.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, keepergirl, welcome to fishlore.
    A couple of things could be going on. Your tank probably hasn't gone through the nitrogen cycle. You should read the link. :)
    Also, 4 gallons is very small for 4 guppies, so they could be stressed from too little space and overcrowding.
    I'm sorry your guppy isn't doing well, but they are really recommended for at least 10 gallons, I think. Your tank is probably a good size for a betta, though. :)

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Welcome to FishLore )

I think you have a few things probably going on.
    Click asked some very good questions. The answers will help the members figure out whats going on.
    Over crowding can cause stress. Stress leaves fish open to illness and disease. Unfortunatly 4 gallons isn't enough for 4 guppies. They need much more room to swim. At very minimum, they should be in a 10g.

Good luck!

5. keepergirl Initiate Member

a BiOrb gets its water changed once every month, the service pack comes with a filter and the water treatment packets that are needed for the change. i have been studying the fish quite a bit, but there are no physical changes. however, my guppy is spotted so it's rather difficult to see any spots that shouldn't be there... i shall attempt to post a picture... but the spherical tank makes pictures almost impossible

6. click Well Known Member Member

I am no expert in Biorob aquariums but water changes once a month seems too far apart. Maybe some other members who have more experience with biorb will come along and say otherwise.

Also, as suggested, could be a stress issue.

7. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Hi Keeper,

Along with the other great suggestios above, keep in mind that:

The water changes for a BiOrb are very important, as with all tanks, but the biorb is designed such that it has much less surface area for gas transfer from air to tank, and tank to air. Ie: oxgen into the water and other (co2) gases to transfer out.